Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

What camera are you running?

WestKyHunt

My wife has been wanting a camera for a couple years and after a run-in with a large curious whitetail the other day, I am sold on purchasing one as well.

Looking to see what everyone here is using.
I dont have a clue what to look for other than newer mirrorless seems to be a great option.

Post below what type of camera and brand you run!
Dont be afraid to put up some pics to show off your gear!

Bumping up as I am still clueless on what to be looking for.
I havent been able to find anything on what type of camera is preferred.

Of course id love a nice mirrorless with multiple lenses but if a point-and-shoot would work, it would save me some money.

I'm a Canon guy by years of buying into higher end gear.
Bodies:
5dMk4 & 7dMk2
Lenses:
100-400L, 70-200L f2.8 V2, 16-35L f2.8, 50 1.8 & Sigma 105 macro and a 1.4 tc v2

I'm saving for a R5 and will adapt my current EL lenses.

My wife has been wanting a camera for a couple years and after a run-in with a large curious whitetail the other day, I am sold on purchasing one as well.

Looking to see what everyone here is using.
I dont have a clue what to look for other than newer mirrorless seems to be a great option.

Post below what type of camera and brand you run!
Dont be afraid to put up some pics to show off your gear!
What is the budget?

B&H and Adorama have a good used selection. I use Nikon, but many quality brands. D500 is a good body. 300 f4 would be a nice combo. Probably better advise out there, but something to start a search.

Since you mentioned wanting to buy a camera after running into a whitetail, you might look into getting a “bridge”camera. Especially with that budget, I’d look at one of the Sony RX 10’s. If you bought a DSLR and a big enough lens for wildlife then you’d be over budget, and wildlife lenses are big and bulky. I have one, but I also have an RX10. If I’m going out specifically for wildlife then I will take my DSLR with big lens but if I’m just out for a hike I take the RX10 and I have got some good photos with it.

Like all hobbies, once you start there's no limit to what you can spend. Good lenses cost a lot of money, but you don't have to go crazy. If you're photographing wildlife you'll want a telephoto lens, when it comes to wildlife I rarely feel like I've got too much lens. However, that's not going to work for an indoor birthday party. You'll have to decide if you're getting multiple lenses or what the primary use will be. A friend of mine uses a Panasonic G85 (not sure on model) and I think he's using a 100-300 lens most of the time. That setup would be under budget I think, and you could also get a more general purpose lens too. He likes his camera, but I don't have any personal experience with it. I use a Nikon DSLR and lenses from Nikon and Tamron. Also, like mtmiller said, look at used options too.

I got a Sony A6000 last year with both kit lenses. I learned how to use it and can get some great photos with it for my purposes. Last year they were on sale for $500-600 And I’m really happy with it for my needs. 23885684-3C44-4AF2-9904-51899BA23A56.jpeg

I went with the 6000 because I couldn’t justify the extra cost for features I don’t think I needed. The other models I think have better video capabilities and I believe an updated sensor. I find the kit lenses work pretty well, but definitely fall short in low light.

I run a d500 and a d850 with an assortment of sigma, Nikon, and tamron lenses from 18-400. If I could only have one camera it would be the d500 for shutter speed and FPS but only because I use it a lot for waterfowl hunting photography.

Anyone running some of Sony's higher end cameras? Looking to get back into photography. I used to run a Canon EOS Mark IV. Looking for something newer that has the same capabilities, especially for motion shots. Was looking at the A9 ii

Last edited:
I run with a Gh5 as my mirrorless camera... Also have a canon XA40 for quick and easy camcorder work. GH5 has awesome quality and the picture attached was taken with a 12-100mm Lenses

Attachments

• P1055652.JPG
    P1055652.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
I recently picked up a canon m50. Learning a lot and playing the cheap lens game right now.

Attachments

• 20210710193416_IMG_0842.JPG
    20210710193416_IMG_0842.JPG
    284 KB · Views: 5
Does anyone here solo hunt and take a camera along? Do you use still or take a video to wear to get captures from? I'm starting out as a new hunter with a new bird dog and will be primarily hunting solo.

Does anyone here solo hunt and take a camera along? Do you use still or take a video to wear to get captures from? I'm starting out as a new hunter with a new bird dog and will be primarily hunting solo.
Lots of stills for me while bird hunting.

I picked up a used Sony A7R and i love it. I cant even remotely begin to use all the functions and get the most out of it but it takes some incredible pics. You may be able to find a used one in your price range.

Back