What breed of dog?

1_pointer

The wife and I are wanting to get another dog instead of having a kid right now. I'm trying to talk her into a dog I can use for hunting. I mostly interested in upland game, but there is a slight possibility of waterfowl. Is there a dog that is more suited to upland game, but can be also used as a decent waterfowler?? I was thinking Lab, but their the opposite.

Vizla? German Wirehair?

However, if I was to get a dog for just upland, which breed?

1_Pointer: You can open a serious can of worms with a question like that. Everyone has there own thoughts on the matter.
As for my choice, I have a german shorthair. Murder on upland birds, but she hates the water. Even though the breed is supposed to be good water dogs. My next dog will be a wirehair, who are also bred to be water dogs (more so than the shorthair). I just think they are so ugly they're cute.

As for a lab; great family/duck dog, but they can't come close to the performance of a pointer. They have to hunt within gun range because they are a flushing breed. My GSP will hunt 75-125 yards out in front (depending on terrain) and go rock solid on point. She'll hold untill I get there. My choice would be the wirehair, but that's just my opinion.

Mike

Pudelpointers are the best all around pointing/retreiving/water/upland dog. They have the highest average scores in NAVHDA testing. Also in the European testing programs. They're expensive though---$1000! GSPs and Wirehairs aren't too far behind in all around ability. If you want a dog that's going to be best for all around find a NAVHDA breeder. Most Western breeders don't breed for all around water and upland dogs. There are some real knowledgeable NAVHDA people around Ogden.

http://www.navhda.org/

"The North American Versatile Hunting Dog Association is a nonprofit corporation whose purpose is to foster, promote, and improve the versatile hunting dog breeds in North America; to conserve game by using well trained reliable hunting dogs before and after the shot; and to aid in the prevention of cruelty to animals by discouraging nonselective and uncontrolled breeding, which produces unwanted and uncared for dogs."

http://www.versatiledogs.com/

Thanks for the info. I'll chew on it awhile. My wife wants a Newfoundland for some reason. :rolleyes: Pudelpointer?? Hmmm. I guess I could name it ONE!!:D

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 11-14-2002 20:20: Message edited by: 1_pointer ]</font>

Ithica, I was checking the photos on the Pudelpointers and now have a question. Why do some seem to have wirey hair on their bodies and other are smoother coated? Is this evident as a puppy? I like the Vizlas (both of 'em) looks as well. I'll have to see if my wife thinks they're cute! :rolleyes:

If its any help Nz's use Waimariners and Vizlas as deer dogs as well as for upland game, great at pointing deer in heavy cover, the Gsp and Wirehair are right up there as well for hunting on deer and birds here.

It's not very evident, although sometimes you can see what kind of coat is developing. The variety of coats is just one of the idiosyncracies of the breed. Same thing happens with Wirehairs.

Vislas are nice dogs. A little closer working than most pointers. Not one of the more popular breeds.

My vote would be with the wirehair also. I have a GSP and he actually loves water, but only in the summer. If you can't talk your wife into a wirehair, try for a lab. Talk her into any breed other than a Newfoundland!

Find someone with a pointing lab and you have the best of both. I have 2 blk. labs and they both work well on upland and waterfowl. I worked them very hard in Kansas on Pheasant once with as maney as 12 hunters for a week we never lost a bird

Most people are not aware that Poodles are great gun dogs. If they are taught to hunt upland game, they are excellent pointers and have a better nose than most. For waterfowl, the biggest problem is keeping them in the boat and away from the decoys. If you should be acosted by wolves, they aren't above tackling that situation either...

Ithicas suggestion of a Pudelpointer is an excellent choice. I have been a long time proponent of English Springers,(I don't think there is a better dog for upland game. Mine happens to be partial to hunting deer and elk also....) but if I get another dog, I may just get a Pudelpointer...

:cool:

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 11-15-2002 11:25: Message edited by: danr55 ]</font>

For upland pointing: I've only hunter over GSP's, and Brits. Both work well. I'm on my 3rd GSP now.

Upland flushing: I've hunted over Labs and English springers. The Labs' upland skills are secondary. ESS's do very well.

Any well bred dog whether it be flushing or pointing will be an excellent bird dog if enough time is spent with them.

T Bone

T-Bone hits it on the head; spending time with your dog. Regardless of the breed you choose, the more time you spend with your dog pays big dividends. Educate yourself on training. Ithica mentioned a great web site. You can also go to www.uplandbirddog.com. It to has a great forum with lots of info. There's also plenty of good books to choose from. Of course, as I mentioned earlier, every one has there opinions on which one is the best. Good luck on the dog, regardless of the breed.
See you in the field!
Mike

Everyone has made some good suggestions. I would go with the lab if you are going to do any waterfowl hunting. They make awesome companions and if you are out of money for food, they will eat just about anything. As far as Gun dog sites go, I would also suggest this one: www.refugeforums.com

This site can answer almost any dog question you will have.

By the way, here is a pic of my bird getting, eat anything, retrieve anything,chew anything, jump on anything and everything, food sucking machine.

fd9e42f1.jpg

Are pointing labs, just lines of labs that have been bred for pointing? The pics I've seen, they didn't look to stylish doing it, but heck I'm not very stylish anyway.

4skin, you got a looker on your hands there. Congrats.

The "pointing labs" I've hunted over just stopped when they got bird scent and looked in the direction it was coming from. It wasn't anything like a real point. You can teach any dog to "whoa" when it smells a bird, even a chihuahua. If you really want some opinions on pointing labs go to the dog sites and ask about them. It's always controversial.

1 pointer,

If your passion is upland birds, get a pointing breed.

If you prefer duck hunting, get a lab.

As Ithaca stated, you can teach any dog to stop when they smell birds, but the key words are "YOU can teach". With pointers, it's all instinct. You just fine tune them to your needs.

Do the research before you make a decision. Go hunting with both types, see for yourself. If you lived close by I'd be happy to take you out.

Mike

Carnivore- What part of ID do you live? I’m about 1.5 hrs. south of Pocatello. My problem is that I don’t know which I have a passion for as I’ve did neither, but feel that I’d enjoy upland more. I guess that’s why I’m leaning towards a versatile breed. I’ve found a few GWP breeders here and will check them out as soon as I can.

Ithaca- Did you get Scout from Bob Farris? I’ve read some GREAT things about his dogs and am sure the price reflects that also.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back