Caribou Gear

What Are My Chances ?

Trigger50

I'm 37 years old & live in MN. What are my chances of drawing a sheep tag in the next 20 years anywhere in the lower 48 ?

You have the same chance as anyone in Idaho, no pref points here. Still long odds sometimes but at least you have the same crappy odds as everyone else.:D

If you don't apply zero... if you do, just a shade better than zero. Total NR sheep permits issued by loto in the entire L48 is about 50. Montana has some OTC tags, but odds are slim to kill one, but again you can't kill one unless you hunt them.

I moved to AK so I could hunt sheep every year, the rest of what the state has to offer is pretty good too.

You cant draw if you dont play the game. If you have $1000 to spend each year on non-refundable fees then enter every drawing and raffle you can. The odds are still against you but one thing is for sure, you wont draw if you dont apply. I'm 33, one town to the west of you and have been applying for sheep tags (amongst others) for 9 years. No sheep tag yet but I've drawn some other awesome tags (MN moose, NM oryx, AZ elk, numerous WY lope tags, etc). PM me if you want specific info, strategies, etc.

Good luck

I'd I'd consider taking the fees you'd be spending for draws/bonus points and squirrel it away and pay for a guided trip 10 or 15 years down the road. It may cost you a little more, but if you really want to hunt sheep it will get you that chance.

Trigger50, if you are serious about hunting bighorns you need to apply every year in a number of states and be persistent. Since 1976 I managed to draw two Wyoming bighorn permits, a desert bighorn permit in Arizona and a desert bighorn permit in Nevada. I have applied in Montana for something like 27 years and never have drawn here. One never knows, but as some have pointed out, if you don't apply you never will draw.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back