Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

What am I doing wrong?

Ill be back up there every weekend between now and the middle of august. Sounds like im in the right area just gotta keep moving. Hopefully theyll be a little easier to locate during archery season and the rut in the thick timber. How is the pressure in the crazies? Im afraid if I hike up to tree line theres going to be horse hunters up there. Or is it like every other area get off the road/trail and you wont see any one else?

This is pretty much the best advice you are gonna get on this topic.

When I go scouting I could care less if I'm seeing tons of elk. Instead I look for signs of them being there especially during the rut. Look for areas with lots of rubs not just a few. if you find a area that is pounded with old and newer ones then I'd be back during bow season. Look well worn elk trails to and from areas. Look for wallows even if they aren't being used right now. but rubs to me are more important than anything.

Not bad advice by looking real early and real late in the day and use binos ;)

Im well aware, but if you've only seen sign of animals ie rubs, tracks, etc. but havent actually laid eyes on them before the season starts, hows your confidence going into that area?

I take it your not much of a church goer because that is the exact definition of faith.

Do you really think that when we go scouting a new area we hit a homerun everytime we go out? It's called hunting and that means you go out and try to find an animal. I stand by my advice as it has worked for me. My confidence is real high if I find the areas that have the old and newer rubs. I know that they are in there at some point and have been doing it for years.

My neighbor worked for years on the Phillip Morris ranch (Crazies) over there and grew up in the valley. He said just what Cabin Fever said the majority of the elk are on the low private land almost year round. I'm sure there are some up in around the forest but when you have alfalfa and safety you don't need 7000 ft.

I take it your not much of a church goer because that is the exact definition of faith.

Do you really think that when we go scouting a new area we hit a homerun everytime we go out? It's called hunting and that means you go out and try to find an animal. I stand by my advice as it has worked for me. My confidence is real high if I find the areas that have the old and newer rubs. I know that they are in there at some point and have been doing it for years.

My neighbor worked for years on the Phillip Morris ranch (Crazies) over there and grew up in the valley. He said just what Cabin Fever said the majority of the elk are on the low private land almost year round. I'm sure there are some up in around the forest but when you have alfalfa and safety you don't need 7000 ft.

Actually I am a church goer...
I get your point and understand exactly what you mean, but ive been scouting since may, packed in miles upon miles, broke my body and mind down time after time, and have yet to see an elk. After a while it just gets very disheartening and I have little faith in myself, not the area, (or god for that matter) in finding the elk. Thats why I labeled the post what am I doing wrong. I guess your post gave me a little bit more hope though, if im finding sign and rubs I should do ok come september. Thanks for all of the advice guys.

Actually I am a church goer...
I get your point and understand exactly what you mean, but ive been scouting since may, packed in miles upon miles, broke my body and mind down time after time, and have yet to see an elk. After a while it just gets very disheartening and I have little faith in myself, not the area, (or god for that matter) in finding the elk. Thats why I labeled the post what am I doing wrong. I guess your post gave me a little bit more hope though, if im finding sign and rubs I should do ok come september. Thanks for all of the advice guys.

I imagine you'll be just fine, although which side are you hunting? Do you have the 580 archery permit? Feel free to pm if you don't want to share info here.

Just remember that you have rubs twice a year,,once when they are rubbing their velvet off (late summer) and when they are shedding their antlers off (late winter, early spring)

Ill be back up there every weekend between now and the middle of august. Sounds like im in the right area just gotta keep moving. Hopefully theyll be a little easier to locate during archery season and the rut in the thick timber. How is the pressure in the crazies? Im afraid if I hike up to tree line theres going to be horse hunters up there. Or is it like every other area get off the road/trail and you wont see any one else?

They will be much easier find in September, I rarely see elk at all during the summer, except on private land and in Jellystone. There were always plenty of vehicles at trailheads, but I rarely have run into anyone off trail. There was also a few horse set ups around, but I have never seen any besides in the campground so I wouldn't worry about that. I'm sure it just depends where you go.

I went to the Crazies the very first time I ever went elk hunting and had never been there before. Ran into the best rutting action I've ever seen with multiple mature bulls on opening morning. Thats why I'm always drawn back there, and I can't think of a day I've been there during September that I haven't seen or at least heard elk. Rifle season gets tougher, but archery has not been a problem for finding elk.

Just remember that you have rubs twice a year,,once when they are rubbing their velvet off (late summer) and when they are shedding their antlers off (late winter, early spring)

You are correct they rub just for kicks during rifle season. That's why I mentioned looking for lots of rubs. Like every 3rd tree old and new ones. You find that area and you'll find bulls during the rut. Maybe I'm just hunting the rub mecca of the world but there are also plenty of bulls in there. Just my experience.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chamoy
Back