Western NE muzzleloader questions

runningun

Hey all! I'm planning a December muzzleloader hunt in western Nebraska with a few friends and was wondering if I could get some tips.

I'm looking at the Chadron area, but I keep seeing comments about the wildfires that went through there a few years back. I was wanting to walk into the wilderness area to try to get away from any crowd that will be there, but it won't be worth it if all the deer or habitat got roasted.

Does anybody recommend any other areas, or would Chadron be all right? The Valentine area was also on the list. We're not looking for any monsters or high densities necessarily, we just want to get out there and hunt some mulies.

Any advice would be appreciated!

The fires were in 2012 so they have had plenty of time to recover. The only wilderness in this area is over by Ft Robinson. That area by Ft. Robinson was hit hard by EHD a couple of years ago as well. We stayed over there a few weeks ago and didn't' see a deer. This has been a strange seasons with lots of moisture. We are not seeing the deer moving out on the ag fields like they normally do. Seems like they are hanging back in the timber. You will probably see more whitetails them mule deer as well.

If you have a statewide permit there are farmers that will gladly have you come to their land and hunt it. You just have to knock and ask. The mules in southwest Nebraska are taking over and farmers gladly let you come and take one.

It's been a few years since I was out there but at the time some of those areas in the southwest were limited quota for mule deer even on the statewide ML tag.

My experience was in the National Forest near Halsey, NE. Those pieces of public get hit really hard during the rifle season since it is an over the counter tag. We watched a lot of deer on the private side of a river forever but they never came across. There were deer on the public land but we only saw 1 mulie buck and he was a fork horn. Saw a few mulie does and one whitetail buck on the public side that was 140ish easy enough(I missed). Also saw quite a few pronghorn.

We only hunted three days and there is so much ground there it is hard to tell what we missed. We only saw 3 other hunting parties.

Hey Landon55, I could sure thin out some mule deer with a ML!

If you have a statewide permit there are farmers that will gladly have you come to their land and hunt it. You just have to knock and ask. The mules in southwest Nebraska are taking over and farmers gladly let you come and take one.

I wish this was right but have rarely see this happen nor have I head about mule deer overpopulating in Western Nebraska. Most all of the private land is leased by outfitters or the landowners typically have groups who come in every year and pay to hunt. Dont' expect to show up and knock on a door to gain access to good mule deer hunting.

Last edited:
From talking to my buddy down at Chadron the deer numbers are still way down. The mule deer numbers are down a lot in the norhtwest part of the state. Around Valentine might not be to bad for muzzleloader I wouldn't hunt it during rifle. If you have more questions pm me and I will try to help you, I grew up in the Sandhills and lived in Chadron for several years.

Dang, how things change. I went to college at Chadron State. We killed a mess of deer near Fort Rob during the CWD hunts a little over 10 years ago. I don't know much about the Metcalf anymore but at one time it had promise

when i seen western n e id thought id check it out,,,but nebraska is about 1500 miles east of me,Id name the state before you call it western?

Yeah not real sure where the confusion is there is an Eastern and a Western part of every state. Unless there is a worm hole those things change the game big time.

Just wait til he figures out there is a state called West Virginia that is nowhere near Oregon.

ok guys,,i know where west virginia is,,,I didnt think of n e as nebraska, dont mail stuff there too often as in 2 digit state i ds.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back