Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Weminuche Wilderness Area GMU 77 Colorado

SnaggleHornOutdoors

I will be traveling to the Weminuche Wilderness Area in 2k18 during the 1st Rifle Season. Having never ventured into the SW Colorado I am excited to take on the rugged terrain in the Weminuche Wilderness. I have hunted many western states (Alaska, Wyoming, Montana) however never elk hunted in CO. I am aware that this GMU and specifically the WWA is heavily pressured with hunters. The wilderness area covers thousands of acres within Unit 77 so i am confident I can get away from the other hunters who don't want to venture into the harsh terrain. Physical conditioning and preparation will not be a problem. I am looking to pack in either North of Weminuche Valley or North of Piedra Falls.

Any thoughts, advise or constructive criticism on these locations would be greatly appreciated. Also, any tips and tricks for elk hunting specifically in SW CO would be greatly appreciated. Other than the amount of hunters, I am curious on how SW CO differentiates from my successful experiences in WY and MT.

I packed in from the south side, across from Williams Lake in 2004. Arrowed a 4 pt bull on the third day. Hunted along the great divide and saw enough elk to consider doing it again sometime. I hired a local packer to bring the Bull out for me because temps were very warm and I was afraid of losing the meat. Lots of hikers only ran into one other hunter during archery season.

The was a recent article posted about the Weminuche Wilderness and elk hunting. You can bet your bottom dollar it will be packed this year. I have seen it everytime there is an article posted about areas here in SW Colorado. Be prepared to go deep.

SnaggleHornOutdoors, I am pretty confident on drawing a 1st Rifle tag for 77 this year and am curious as to how your hunt went? My E-scouting has has turned up some places of interest in the far west part of the unit (a little SW from where you were going) an Far east 78. One area I'm looking at goes from 7000ft-9800ft and another goes up to 12,000. I'm a little concerned about where to be looking.

1) How was the Hunting pressure 2-4mi off rds/trails
2) what elevations were you finding Elk (I'm paranoid about being to low/high)
3) Did you see any Bears? (prob buying a tag)

I look forward to hearing how your hunt went!

Hunted central 78 for quite a few years, not familiar with the portion of the unit you are wondering about, where we hunted, bear numbers were very, very high. Would definitely recommend you get a tag!

Thanks Tinner. I’m pretty confident in my e-scouting. Going to hit the ground in July for a reality check scout trip. I guess I was looking for some reassurance on my speculations. That you have given me. Thanks again!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back