Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Well, wish my wallet good luck!

Pondera

My son is driven to be an archery hunter. He signed us both up for bowhunter safety course here in Montana. I have sat in on both my kid's hunter's safety classes and always got a lot out of them. So I am looking forward to learning more. I've never hunted with a bow or owned a decent one. Flung a few sticks with a buddy's is all the experience I have. My son is patient and puts time and dedication into his hobbies - he is an awesome musician, piano, guitar, and drums. I can't tap my foot to the radio. I suspect this old man is about to be out hunted by his son.

At first you won't notice, then it will be all you think, read, or talk about. Find some 3d shoots and just shoot for fun, it's a blast.

As for equipment...that initial hit is probably going to sting a bit.

Find yourself a good archery pro shop in your area and work with them on getting you and your son off on the right foot. Stay away from the box store archery depts. Set your foundation properly, learn things specific to you and then you can expand your acquisition sources. Remember, used bows are a good starting/price point for beginners.

Down here in Bozeman, I point folks to Big Sky Archery. Awesome bunch of guys in there and a wealth of knowledge. They helped get me back into archery after 20 years of not having even held a bow.

As our sponsored bow, Bowtech does make some really decent bows, without hurting the wallet too badly.
My daughter is shooting an Infinite Edge, and really likes it! $300 ish
I shoot an APA Viper Air set up for 50# pull. $600

At the Harrisburg outdoor show my daughter shot a new model APA Viper. $900. But seeing as i had bought an APA already, they are willing to throw in $200 of accessories.

Yep same thing happened to me, all the years raising my son we rifle hunted only, never thought about archery. He took upon himself got a used bow, elk calls, clothing etc and away he goes. I bought some cheap camo tagged along , pretty neat stuff, elk bugling etc. Now a few years later Kuiu , Bear bow , backpacks, tents. Hes got a bull every year. I got my first archery bull two years ago. Well worth it, my wallet hurts also.

Yep same thing happened to me, all the years raising my son we rifle hunted only, never thought about archery. He took upon himself got a used bow, elk calls, clothing etc and away he goes. I bought some cheap camo tagged along , pretty neat stuff, elk bugling etc. Now a few years later Kuiu , Bear bow , backpacks, tents. Hes got a bull every year. I got my first archery bull two years ago. Well worth it, my wallet hurts also.

Sounds about right ! Sounds like alot of opportunity still in archery hunting. Definitely a calmer vibe from these guys.

A few random thoughts...Archery and bow hunting are a lot of fun. If or when you fill a tag, the level of satisfaction and accomplishment is a wonderful experience. A well placed arrow is such a clean graceful kill compared to the noise and confusion of a rifle kill.

Back