MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

well the new regs are out

Coyote Slayer

looks like the whole state is going with 50 inch or 4 brow tines for moose sad to see this happen You all have a great weakend:coyote slayer

CS, you know its gonna get worse too. Any non-res who wants to hunt moose up here better do it in the next couple of years or so because eventually it will be closed.

That friggin PISSES me off.. GRRRRrrrrrrrr

I hear that is happening. Why is it like that ?~?~? I gues the "LAST TRUE FRONTIER" is just a money marketing "hole" like the rest.........

Moosie, a big part of it is the state wont do what it has to do on predator control. They are afraid of pissing off the huggers and folks in anchorage (yes, I live here but I'm getting out of this damn city). right now they are starting out restricting some non-res to guided only or making some areas tier 2 (subsistance) and starting next year 1 area is closed to non-res. all this has a domino effect. these folks will go to other GMU's after a few years the residents or some group will say that those areas are being overhunted and they will close down or be severley restricted.
In the paper last week F&G stated that they figured out brown bears are responsible for some moose deaths...duhh, where the hell they been. I'm glad they went to college.
a couple of years ago I was hunting GMU13 (denali highway) and ran into a state trooper (fish cop) and she told me that if I see wolfs or a brown bear to shoot it, plus she just did an aerial count of moose and told us that the nearest legal moose was 7 miles away :mad:

well to be honest lilbiggun is right but also wrong the reason for the switch has to do with want and waste on the meat now the avarage hunter is a honest guy.
But as we all know there are a few that are just plain jurks and as we also know the small amount kill it for everybody the last few years moast of the want and waste cases have been from people out side on the first moose hunt that have flew in with air taxies they bring out the horns but leave moast of the meat rather it was that were not sure of what had to be brought out or they killed it ten miles from camp and it went bad from improper care it is still want and waste where if you were with a gide it is his butt if the meat is not all brought out.
and lets not EVEN!!!!!! get started on unit 13 I could write a book on that problem LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL so I hope this helps on some of this if not just ask and if i can help I would be more than glad too:Coyote Slayer

The subject was pretty popular over on Hunt America a few months back, but there's no reason we can't talk about it again.

Coyote,

When you write that book about GMU 13, please remember the term is wanton waste, not "want and waste". Although there is some truth in the way you put it! ;)

While I sure there was some legitimate issues over wanton waste, I feel the real problem is predation, native rights, and greedy guides, all wrapped up into one big problem.

One Alaska guide on HA was even suggesting we join APHA (Alaska Proffesional Hunter Assoc) to get there "great" magazine! Then we find out that APHA is lobbying to get this moose guide rule passed! Some friends of the hunter! NOT!

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 02 July 2001 00:09: Message edited by: BW ]</font>

Dear BW
Thanks for the help on my spelling, now i can return the favor on grammer.I think it schould be "WHILE I AM SURE" not "WHILE I SURE but who knowes
I am glad you brought up Preadation and am glad to hear that you got YOUR three black bears and one Brown bear last year and wish you well on three more this year, I my self take a lot of wolves and coyotes in unit 20D ,13,AND 12 just between you and me we will have moose back in no time.
As to native rights well moast of the guys i hunt with are really not happy with the party line from there tribes as we are not happy with what are state and feds have to say eather.But when we needed them on Prop 9 they were there or we would have lost a great tool THE SNARE!!!!.
As to guides well sad to say there are more that live out side than here full time and just take the money and run I can say this becous as you read there adds they give two address one here and one outside for the moast part.
Well you all have a great weekend:Coyote Slayer

Coyote,

I knew I shouldn't have mentioned the "wanton waste" thing!

There was a couple times at HA, where I expressed my view that all Alaskan Guides should be Alaskan residents. Not a very popular thing to say over there!!! But, I still feel that way, even if I have friends who fall into that category. If the State says you need a Guide, simply because your not a resident, then the Guide should at least be a resident.

We're going to have to figure out a way for you to shoot some of my predators, because I'm doing a lousy job of it down here!
I haven't even seen a wolf! I'm going to try a kill a Black bear and a Brown bear again this Fall. Then another Black bear next Spring. Perhaps a trip up to your neighborhood for the third one? Love to help!!! I'll shoot all the wolves you can show me too! ;)

Maybe we can round up "lilbiggun" to come along?

Brian, I'm all for a hunt for predators. I agree with you about guides needing to be alaskan residents. One question nobody has answered for me. If a guide is a nonresident can he hunt brown bear without a guide, or does he need a guide because hes a nonres, even though hes a guide up here? sounds stupid I know, but I cant get a straight answer on this.

My understanding, is that a non-resident Guide, can hunt Browns (griz, coastal, etc. and sheep and goat) in his assigned area unguided.

I feel for the folks who put forth the effort! But, if they ain't here year round, they ain't resident's. If we allow them to hunt based on experience, then shouldn't all experienced hunters be able to hunt unguide?

But, that's just my opinion...

Sorry Jim, I have every respect for what you do!!!!

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 07 July 2001 11:44: Message edited by: BW ]</font>

You guys are right on the money,If you are a guide you can hunt anything that walks no matter where you live the reast of the year.
and i think that is wrong but i feal that way with work too up north.So i know i cause a lot of trouble on that if you live here you schould hunt and work here first. as for ADC i have been working on a projuct for my owen company here in Alaska had to get a lot of fed and state BIO.guys to sign letters plus a lot of the guides that have me come in and hunt wolves and coyotes for them in the winter, I am at the permit and app. stage with USDA, and the state so we shall see what happens.As to a hunt just let me know when you will be in this area I hunt hogans hill in Aug. and Sept. then head for the white river area for the reast of the winter to work on wolves and coyotes.well have a great weekend all

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back