welfare rancher?

les48

this may sound stupid, but i have heard the term " welfare rancher" alot but do not know what it means. i have never heard it from anyone in my area only on this BB and pertaining to the west coast. what is it? :confused: :confused:

Ranchers who hold grazing allotments to graze federal lands ie BLM or FS. They are charged by the Animal Unit Month (AUM) Which is equal to Cow/calf pair, One horse or 5 sheep. The Term welfare rancher come from the fact that the federal government charges far less ($1.43 per AUM) then what equivalent AUM's would be worth on private deeded land (anywhere from $12 per AUM on up). There are many arguments on whether it is a good thing for the government to continue to do this or not. Many on this board say it is a bad thing. Others say it is a good thing. I would recommend you just google it and spend some time studying the issue yourself rather then listen to all the experts here.

When you Google public lands ranching you most likely will not get a site that is positive toward this issue. Just remember there are two side to every story and that what goes on in Nevada or Owyhee County, Idaho is not reflective of all leases. Also the cattleman often shoot themselves in the foot by not taking care of their grazing leases like it was their own deeded land, they overgraze it and leave in poor condition. The anti grazing crowd doesn't care whose lives they destroy or even see that there is more to the issue then just ending grazing. Do some studying and form your opinions; whether anti-grazing, pro-grazing or neutral.

Nemont

Nemont, thank you. That's a real good explanation. Have a Happy New Year. :)

les, "Welfare Rancher" is a pretty inflammatory term to use. Be careful about using the term in real life with anyone who grazes on public land. We throw it around here the same way we talk about "fatassed ATV riders". In a cowtown out West "welfare rancher" is fightin' words.

Here's a place to start reading up on the topic:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=welfare+ranching&btnG=Google+Search

thanks guys, have no intention of using that term or any other term that i do not know the meaning of that may offend people. i was just curious since i have never heard it in this area before. i don't even know if those programs are in effect in my area. but all the same, thank you for the info.

Back