PEAX Equipment

Weight for a sheep rifle?

What did you do to the M70 to get it down? I have a similar rifle in 325wsm, it weighs 7lbs 12 oz if I remember right. I don't mind the weight of the rifle and have packed it on a couple sheep hunts.

The Kimber is a dream to carry though, don't even know its on the pack.

Bansner Sheep Hunter stock, blind magazine, and David Gentry bases and rings. Those were a little complicated for me so went with Talley LW on the Ti. Same stock on the Ti and a Callahan shroud/spring.

Factory barrel on both and the shoot great.

I am always tempted by the Kimber Mountain Ascent...

I was cleaning few rifles lastnight and for kicks I pulled out the scale. I know my Mashburn is 8lbs all in, but I wanted to know the weight of my factory 7 RM in a McMillian stock. I knew it was heavier but was suprised that it was just a pound heavier, it feels so much heavier than just a pound. Really gets me tempted to look at a Montana, Howa Alpine or build something similar in the 6lb range.

Did I miss the hunt report?

My brief sheep report is best summarized by the definition of the word "experience"...Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want.

I cant' say I missed, wounded and lost, or any of those type experiences. We saw probably a couple hundred sheep but could not find a legal one. Weather set in on day seven and was so bad we lost the last three days. I loved your state and enjoyed the adventure. Hopefully I can make it back some day soon.

I own several good sheep guns:

Sako 85 Finlight 300 WSM 7 lbs
Borden 300 WSM 7 lbs
Borden 280 Ackley 7 lbs
Wby 280 UL 7 lbs

The 280's run 140 Accubonds at 3000 fps
The WSM's run 150/165 Accubonds at 3050+ fps

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member