NEW SITKA Ambient 75

Weekend Libations

Coffee cup half full of water, heated, spoonful of honey added and a generous couple shots of Evan Williams to top it off. Trying to kick a weird dry cough. This always seems to help.

***I usually add lemon juice after heating the water, but we were out. Substitute more bourbon if out of lemon juice.

Coffee cup half full of water, heated, spoonful of honey added and a generous couple shots of Evan Williams to top it off. Trying to kick a weird dry cough. This always seems to help.

***I usually add lemon juice after heating the water, but we were out. Substitute more bourbon if out of lemon juice.
I’ve been using single serve lemonade packets for the base the last couple of years. About 8 ounces of water, so twice as strong as recommended. Other than that, perfect medical advice.

I had a presentation on mammals of Iowa at a school today. Boss asked me how it went and I said if I didn’t have a work vehicle I would have went straight to the liquor store. Packers play at 7:15.

View attachment 256407

Love that and I don't mean the beer.

Did you cover all 52 species? From pocket mice to lemmings?

Armadillos to Lynx?

Sounds like a blast.

Ps. You will need a lot more beer for the Packers.

Love that and I don't mean the beer.

Did you cover all 52 species? From pocket mice to lemmings?

Armadillos to Lynx?

Sounds like a blast.

Ps. You will need a lot more beer for the Packers.
I only had 45 minutes per group of students. 4 groups of 2nd graders! I start by talking about what makes an animal a mammal and with each animal I talk about food, habitat, and what might be a predator of them. I bring a fur of each animal with me, if the animal has cultural significance like a beaver we talk about that too. It’s different every time based on what I grab off the fur rack, but Today I had:
Black bear
Gray wolf
Coyote
Red and grey fox
Bobcat
Raccoon
Striped and spotted skunk
Badger
Opossum
Mink
Muskrat
Weasel, summer and winter phase
Beaver
River otter

I only had 45 minutes per group of students. 4 groups of 2nd graders! I start by talking about what makes an animal a mammal and with each animal I talk about food, habitat, and what might be a predator of them. I bring a fur of each animal with me, if the animal has cultural significance like a beaver we talk about that too. It’s different every time based on what I grab off the fur rack, but Today I had:
Black bear
Gray wolf
Coyote
Red and grey fox
Bobcat
Raccoon
Striped and spotted skunk
Badger
Opossum
Mink
Muskrat
Weasel, summer and winter phase
Beaver
River otter
Lemmings and moles would make an interesting contrast.

2nd graders, eh? Above my pay grade that's for sure. Only did that once with somewhat older students. I took skulls and teeth.

Lemmings and moles would make an interesting contrast.

2nd graders, eh? Above my pay grade that's for sure. Only did that once with somewhat older students. I took skulls and teeth.
I have skulls and teeth for a lot of the mammals. That’s a separate presentation.

When I worked for the ODWC we would do a similar presentation over all the game animals in Oklahoma. We had the skull and tanned hide of everything from muskrat to elk and everything in between. Went to a lot of different places schools, summer camps, boy and girl scout groups, etc. Most listened well enough but at the end I would let them come up and handle all the hides and skulls along with a few claws and snapping turtle shell, feathers and so on. That's when they'd come alive and the questions would fly a mile a minute I miss that.

When I worked for the ODWC we would do a similar presentation over all the game animals in Oklahoma. We had the skull and tanned hide of everything from muskrat to elk and everything in between. Went to a lot of different places schools, summer camps, boy and girl scout groups, etc. Most listened well enough but at the end I would let them come up and handle all the hides and skulls along with a few claws and snapping turtle shell, feathers and so on. That's when they'd come alive and the questions would fly a mile a minute I miss that.
I really enjoy the stories a youngster can spin. I hear a lot of “my dad killed one of those” even if it’s not something they should be hunting.

I’m prepping for a serious day of day drinking tomorrow. Homemade Irish cream. So easy to make and so much better than Baileys.
1 cup heavy cream
1 14 oz can sweet and condensed milk
1 teaspoon instant coffee
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 squirts of chocolate syrup
1 2/3 cups Irish whiskey ( I may or may not double this ingredient)

1671753447316.jpeg

We had a 6-year-old grandson of my wife's best friend over one day. He saw right away that I was a hunter and told me his uncle took him hunting. He said his favorite part was when the deer's eye would light up.
Some distant family down south was telling me how he went out on there property and didn't think it was very sporting how another member of the family puts that huge pile of corn out. Smh.

Some distant family down south was telling me how he went out on there property and didn't think it was very sporting how another member of the family puts that huge pile of corn out. Smh.
Different program and it was for kindergarteners, but we were talking about beavers. I showed them the fur, the feet, the teeth. We talked about their fur being waterproof and people used it for clothing because of that. At the end the kids made a beaver puppet using a paper bag and other supplies. All of a sudden I hear the teacher screaming at a little girl. “Put your crayons away, your done, I told you not to draw that anymore!” So, I casually walked over to see what the girl had done and I see that she had drawn a very large penis on her beaver puppet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jordanhronek
Back