weakling having probs popping horns off

Khunter

So I kill this nice lope in Wyoming in 2006. Leave the whole head, hair and all, in the freezer since then. Wife really likes that I must say :) Freezer dies, head is pretty well dessicated/freezer burned by then so it slowly degrades further without too much nastiness. I clean up the skull plate, and soak/simmer the horns and skull plate for awhile but can't seem to get the horns off after a good bit of pulling/twisting. Pulled it out and put on the shelf so I can have another gop at it when I get time. How long is too long to soak such that I will ruin the horns trying to get them off so I can scrape out the once-soft tissue...

tricks/tips for getting horns off 'old' skull that has sat for too long unattended.

Heading out Friday to restock the new freezer with antelope (with meat-only not horns this time).

try steaming them. Get a big pot, cover it up with foil of a lid and enough water to steam them.

Did you try putting it in a black bag in the sun for a while?Maybe add some water beings its been in the freezer so long.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back