MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Water proofing leather hunting boots

mrcowboy

Debating which water proofing products to use. Do most prefer a Mink oil or Obenhauf (silicone style) preservative?
Thanks

Ditto for Obenauf's. "Discovered" it a couple three years ago and now use nothing but. A Rocky Mountain wildland firefighter came up with it, and that's a job that can quite literally demolish a good pair of boots in a single season.

Obenaufs or Montana Pitch Blend. Both work fantastic and last a long time on the boots. I apply several coats and in between coats put them on a Peet boot dryer to warm the leather so it penetrates better!

Thanks for your recommendations. I never thought too much about putting feet up near the campfire . Kind of makes sense. May need to get some just camp shoes that give my boots a rest when returning to camp at night.

I would use what the manufacturer recommends. Heard of boots delaminating at rands due to wrong one....
I use Obenoufs on some of my leather goods. Snoseal still too. Mink oil & others.
I use the recommended Nixwax cream on my Lowa boots these days.
Never put boots near fires, if you want them to last.
Take boots off in camp & let them dry out if possible.

If you are using Gore Tex boots you absolutely don’t want to use mink oil.

I was told by a Lowa authorized repair shop that Obenaufs can cause the rand to delaminate. Take that for what you will.

I can say after being refused warranty repair for a problem completely unrelated to boot dressing, I don’t buy that brand anymore and I now use only the manufacturer recommend dressing. YMMV.

If you are using Gore Tex boots you absolutely don’t want to use mink oil.

I was told by a Lowa authorized repair shop that Obenaufs can cause the rand to delaminate. Take that for what you will.

I can say after being refused warranty repair for a problem completely unrelated to boot dressing, I don’t buy that brand anymore and I now use only the manufacturer recommend dressing. YMMV.
It’s true. I finally found out why my rubber rands were peeling off. Obenaufs! Now I use the Crispi made stuff. No more issues

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back