MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Washington Turkeys

SPOTTED OWL

Anyone out there hunt hunt turkeys in Wa?
I've never given it a try, but would like
to see whats its like. Would like to hear
from anyone who has. My questions would be
what season, fall or spring, and what type
of property, public or private. Thanks

------------------
owl176x171.jpg

Spotted Owl,
I've never even been to WA, much less hunted turkeys, but I will offer this up to you.
Most turkey hunting is done in the spring because the seasons occur around the time of the mating season. Like elk, male turkeys are very vocal and gather "harems" of hens. Because of this, the excitement and challenge comes from trying to imitate a receptive hen and call a tom into gun range. I think the most exciting hunting comes anytime a hunter can interact with the game he is hunting.

As far as public vs. private, turkeys will be where they can find what they like. If it is on private land, all the better, if you have access to the land. You won't have to worry about other hunters bumping your birds. But, many a Tom is killed on public land.As with hunting anything else, you'll just have to work at finding birds that aren't getting much pressure from other hunters.

If you try it and call up a bird, you will be hooked for life. Good luck. SR

Spotted Owl, I just researched Washington for turkeys, and found it to be a real hotspot! I won't be able to make it this year though, have a couple of dates in Texas for longbeards!.....but I would be glad to give you all the info you need on the wheres and the hows for you to get you a nice longbeard!
DS

Deerslayer,

I'm all ears. I live on the westside of
the state. Any tips on where to start will
be apreciated. I know the harvest has been going up big time the last 5 years. Just
need a good place to start looking that
is not private property, Thanks, and happy
new year!

Spotted Owl, i hunt turkeys in washington, havent got one yet but im still trying, i had one going last year but i screwed it up, Ill tell you what, its addicting, getting that tom coming in and gobbling. I hunt down in goldendale but the real hotspots are north east washington, up by northport, colville and other places up there.

Kirk

Kirk,

I hope you nail one this spring. I don't
know squat about hunting them, other then
the stuff I read. I have also heard the NE
part of the state is full of birds. Just
gotta find some time and take a look around.
If your as fortunate hunting turkeys as you
were with elk last season, you'll nail a
monster tom. Happy hunting!

------------------
owl176x171.jpg

Sorry I'm just getting back to you, been busy.

I will look in my file and e-mail you what I have, which is VERY good info. I almost want to make the trip even though I can't fit it in because the area is supposed to be a real HOT SPOT! I can give you some X's on the map, and guarantee the birds will be there. But as far as getting one in your vest, well, ....your on your own there friend!
DS

[This message has been edited by Deerslayer (edited 01-03-2001).]

Sure Kirkl.....you guys will love this info. I spent quite some time on it. I will make time this weekend and retrieve it from my Washington file. Some of the best turket hunting west of the Mississippi is right there under you boys! I would be there myself, but I have a date with Shadowrider, Ol Bob and a few big Gobblers in Texas this spring.
Have a good one fellas.
DS

Hunted them in 79 -80 with no sucess in okanogan county. We saw a few, It was a spring hunt and we were in the wilderness area up there.Took horse's in. We went there mainly to fish.

Delw

Kirkl and Spotted Owl, sending you an e-mail momentarily!
DS

Back