MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

WARNING: Student Load Forgiveness is Very Unlikely to Pay for Your Next Elk Tag

My premise is not that artists, writers, etc don't have value. They have huge value.

What I am saying is that the world's pool of great artists, and writers is not advanced by issuing $200,000 4 year degrees.
One of my best friends is a top wildlife artist. He has a business degree.
There are likely plenty of artists that have his talent, he will tell you that one of the things that gives him an advantage is his knowledge of markets and how to manage his art business.

Last edited:
The western suburbs are about as good a situation as you can get to raise a family. Minneapolis on the news has nothing to do with it - you can live a long productive life without going into the city if that is your thing (but the sports, food, arts, etc is worth the 15 min drive to me). We are retiring up north, but our kids would have paid a high price for that being our permanent home.

Beat me to it. Chaska, Edina, Minnetonka, eden prairie, Orono, plymouth, wayzata, maple grove, woodbury, etc are what got "minneapolis" that rating. Grew up in Plymouth and most all my childhood friends (mid 30s now) are raising their kids in the area and their networks of neighborhood families are incredible. I'm on a small piece of land by monticello where i could shoot a deer with a slug from my deck if I wanted to and I've been dreaming for a bigger chunk of land still. The little point of how neighborhoods impact kids has put a hitch in my thoughts about that for sure!

Last edited:
Here’s the damndest thing about woke kids from one who associates with woken: we can teach them to respect feelings of others and ask preferred pronouns. But introduce a crippled kid and right away they’re all “Oooh, where’s your foot? Why do you use a wheelchair?”

Beat me to it. Chaska, Edina, Minnetonka, eden prairie, Orono, plymouth, wayzata, maple grove, woodbury, etc are what got "minneapolis" that rating. Grew up in Plymouth and most all my childhood friends (mid 30s now) are raising their kids in the area and their networks of neighborhood families are incredible. I'm on a small piece of land by monticello where i could shoot a deer with a slug from my deck if I wanted to and I've been dreaming for a bigger chunk of land still. The little point of how neighborhoods impact kids has put a hitch in my thoughts about that for sure!

Not New Brighton? :(

I grew up on the North side. I guess that explains a lot (or 25% anyway). :)

Sometimes folks count unhatched chickens and they should be forewarned on this one. The early word is that SCOTUS arguments today did not seem supportive of the Biden proclamation of student loan forgiveness, and such a program likely will have to wait until it has support from 60 US senators (or until the demise of the filibuster), 218 Reps and 1 Pres at the same time - a situation that does not exist at this moment.

Interestingly, SCOTUS seems to agree with Biden’s original position during the primaries when he said POTUS does not have this type of authority. So in fairness, he was right once.

The hailmary hope is that a narrow majority fails to find standing by the plaintiffs, but that will just lead to a new suit with new plaintiffs.

What? I do not have any student loans, and I wasn't counting on anyone to pay for my elk tag. If I am fortunate enough to draw an elk tag, I will pay for it with my money.

I hesitate to resurrect this thread, but I'm going to do it.

This may, or may not interest some of you. While I didn't read it word for word to the bitter end, there are some interesting items in there.
Passed HS English with C's...my very first class in college was Old English, which I took because it was required, was lectured by an English lady. Her accent and communication skill hooked me from the first word, so I minored in English only falling to a B in one class lectured by a shitty prof. Everything about my profession is and has been about communication.

I hesitate to resurrect this thread, but I'm going to do it.

This may, or may not interest some of you. While I didn't read it word for word to the bitter end, there are some interesting items in there.
Brent, you sad face so many of us. I just saw the opportunity to return the favor!

Did a campus visit with my youngest this weekend as she decides which of her final 4 choices will get $250,000 from me over the next 4 years. The student admissions guide says the following as we passed one of the buildings, "This is the university sustainability center - they grow 'urban gardens" and make crappy soap from old fry oil - this is where the most insufferable pretentious students spend their time - the rest of us just do our best to stay the hell away from them." I did my best not to laugh too hard. Best campus tour ever ;)

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRP325
Back