Yeti GOBOX Collection

Wanta learn something?

Ithaca 37

"I DON'T MEAN TO BE A SCOLD or to imply that there isn't lots of dam removal that's going easily and well. But with the exception of Trout Unlimited and a few other enlightened angling groups, America's sportsmen have been sitting on the bench. More disheartening is the fact that when sportsmen do get involved, they're often on the wrong side. Seeking....."

"Today the notion that dams are not sacred monuments to be preserved for all time is universally accepted by state and federal agencies. As yet, however, there is no such acceptance by the general public, a fact that should alarm all thinking Americans regardless of how they feel about fish and wildlife. A dam's average life expectancy is 50 years,....."

http://www.flyrodreel.com/conservation0402.html

We need more sportsmen to be educated about dams. We see the general ignorance all the time here in SI!

How do you tell when it`s life is up? [dams]other than the "big thompson" in colorado I can`t seem to think of any that have "collapsed" [the big thompson was a earthen dam.]

CJ, FYI...
The Big Thompson flood was not caused by a dam breach, but rather an incredible thunderstorm. Here's some info:

http://www.tidalmotions.com/pages/BTFlood.htm

One dam failure that came to my mind was the Teton Dam in 1976. However, this dam failed right as it was reaching full capacity for the first time.

http://www.geol.ucsb.edu/faculty/sylvester/Teton%20Dam/narrative.html

I guess you can tell that a dam's "life" is up when all the water behind it goes rushing downstream.
wink.gif

Oak

Thanks Oak, I stand corrected, i came thru the big thompson a few monrhs after it happened, it was the most devastating flood i had ever seen at the time, cars, and buildings, a motel all pushed up 100 to 150 ft. against the cliffs, some sections of highway in perfect condition then the next curve nothing, i remember hearing about an earthen dam that had got knocked out from the flood so thats what i was thinking was also a factor looks like i was wrong . thanks again for setting me straight.

The teton was devestating.... I had ring side seats to that one
frown.gif
we were at the family ranch when the dam collapsed and had to take a 100 mile detour to get home.
Because my father worked on the dam we rushed south from the ranch to see if we could help with rescue, or whatever else was needed.

My father was the dynamite Man on the teton damn I still have his blasting record and some other memorabilia from the teton dam.

Then we should just put explosives in all the dams since they don't do any thing and have one big explosion, then have the world watch the show..That would be great...
Big booms, lots of water comming down doing only what we get to see in the movies and creating mass destruction...Way to cool...
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back