Walker's Game Ear?

fishing4sanity

Getting older sucks for the most part, my hearing is lousy and I have severe tinnitus. I wear hearing aids at all times, it helps some with the tinnitus, but they don't help block the sound of a muzzle blast. Does anyone have experience with the Walker's Game Ear? I've been looking at the models that go in the ear, not the muffs. I'm curious how well they block loud sounds. To all you guys who can still hear - protect your ears!

Last edited:
Haven't used that brand but have used others. They melted wax in my ear and made molds from it. That's the only kind of in ear thing I can wear for any length of time without it killing my ears. Mine was for military purposes. That way we can hear better and then it automatically shuts out noises over a certain decibel…….like an M4 shot. It worked great at shutting the blast out and then you were right back to amplified hearing. Sounds like a good solution to your situation. My only concern would be how comfortable the compressed foam would be over the long term and would it block out as much sound?

There is another brand that fits completely in the ear with a NRR24 rating. Tried to find them in Cabelas 2014 spring catalog but couldn't find them. I do remember that they were SCARY expensive, like 8-9 hundred per pair. If you find something more reasonable, please share as I have the same issues as you.

I've been wearing hearing aids since the time I was four. Why not just turn off your hearing aid when the time comes to shoot? That is what I do. The hearing aid molds act as an earplug when the aid is turned off. Works well at the homefront as well when I need to turn off the "noise". The wife hates that I have that ability.

I've been wearing hearing aides for the last 3 years (I'm 38 now). I don't use them when I'm hunting or running around in the woods (skiing, whatever). I always have a set of plugs in my bino chest pack.

I can usually throw them in before I have to shoot. Obviously there are times when I don't have enough reaction time to get them in prior to shooting. But if I have enough time to get into a prone or sitting position to shoot, I can throw in the plugs pretty quick.

So for the OP - I have looked at the Game ears, but I'm not convinced enough to shell out some money to try them.

I've tried a pair made by Etymotic, who is actually the company that used to make the Walkers Game ear. They work as advertised. This is just a suggestion, but you may want to talk to your doctor if you are already prescribed hearing aids. For the most part hearing aid companies are the ones who are producing the "hunting style" aids and slapping someone else's name on the box. I've never looked into it, but there may be an opportunity to acquire some of those style aids utilizing medical insurance, or HSA funds?

HSA funds might be possible. Medical Insurance is not - at least in my case. I cannot get coverage for hearing aides - they are deemed cosmetic.

Pisses me off to no end. They will cover eye-glasses (I've got 20/20 vision though). Apparently my ability to hear is cosmetic. Sorry for the rant / thread hijack.

I haven't heard a bull elk bugle in 15 years without the use of a Walkers game ear. I do use them with other muffs while shooting and they block out the gun noise. When an elk bugles I usually have no idea where he's at, just that one bugled. Sucks to be deaf, and Dumb.

Lost one Walkers, and the other one died after 15 years of service. I was hoping to find a better replacement. What really sucks is when I testify in Helena I have no idea what others are saying. I really look like a putz at times, but nobody cuts us any slack as being handicapped. It's a real bummer.

Sorry, I felt the need to rant also.:mad:

I haven't heard a bull elk bugle in 15 years without the use of a Walkers game ear. I do use them with other muffs while shooting and they block out the gun noise. When an elk bugles I usually have no idea where he's at, just that one bugled. Sucks to be deaf, and Dumb.

Lost one Walkers, and the other one died after 15 years of service. I was hoping to find a better replacement. What really sucks is when I testify in Helena I have no idea what others are saying. I really look like a putz at times, but nobody cuts us any slack as being handicapped. It's a real bummer.

Sorry, I felt the need to rant also.:mad:

Not being able to hear does suck, but it sounds like if you went and saw an audiologist your life would improve leaps and bounds...speaking from experience.

Shoots - if you want, I'll PM you the audiologist I go to in Hamilton. I'm sure you know him... but he really stands by his products and goes beyond the call in helping getting adjusted to wearing them. I can honestly say that I'd be missing half of my 4 y/o's conversation if I didn't wear hearing aides (let alone the thousands of things I'd been missing but didn't know about).

Even after 3 years I'm amazed at all of the sounds that I didn't hear - and not just in conversations.

I've been wearing hearing aids since the time I was four. Why not just turn off your hearing aid when the time comes to shoot? That is what I do. The hearing aid molds act as an earplug when the aid is turned off. Works well at the homefront as well when I need to turn off the "noise". The wife hates that I have that ability.

When I'm out at the shooting range I do turn the hearing aids off, unfortunately the style of hearing aid they have me wearing for the tinnitus and my hearing problems doesn't block much sound when turned off. I'm going over to Africa hunting and was trying to find the best balance of being able to hear the PH and still protect some hearing when it comes time to shoot.

Thanks for all the responses - sometimes shared misery and venting is helpful. If I try something I'll share if they work or not.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back