Caribou Gear

vortex vs nikon

westernhunter98

I am buying a new pair of binoculars and am looking at the vortex diamondbacks 8x42 or the Nikon prostaff 7 ATBs 8x42 the vortex's cost 219.99 and the Nikons cost 139.99 right now.

also I am wondering if the vortex's 425 FOV is to much? because most binoculars have a FOV only in the 300s

Vortex. Nikon's warranty is garbage. I just got a pair of Vortex Talon HD 10x42's. Love them.

^^^^^^^^^^THIS!!!

I've owned multiple rifle scopes, spotters, range finders, and binos all being NIKON over the past 10 years mainly because it was all I could afford at the time. My first two issues with them happened this past year. My rangefinder (2 yrs old) quit reading past 18 yards and my brand new spotter (less then 6 months old) had broken plastic pieces in the eye piece. They wanted to charge me $200 for a refurbished rangefinder and $300 for a refurbished spotter. I had always had good luck with them because they worked well for the money and I hadn't had any issues...BUT...the customer service was a joke and the warranty an even bigger joke. It's basically like Insurance, saving money and getting the cheapest product you can find is all good until you actually NEED it. I would rather pay the money for a quality product with A+++ customer service and warranty then go through what I have with Nikon ever again. It also took them a month to even get back to me which in this day and age is a joke to me. Sorry for my rant but if I were you I would save up the money and go with Vortex. I have yet to hear one bad thing about their warranty and customer service. Good Luck!

Vortex, quality, warranty, durability, clear! Work great whole family has switched from Nikon to Vortex.

I prefer Nikon optics comparing the same price points. I've owned a Vortex Viper scope, looked through several of their bino's out hunting and just recently compared a buddy's rangefinder against two of mine (leupold and bushnell). Killer marketing by eagle optics, cool packaging and great warranty but each product I've used has left me a little underwhelmed $ for $.

Not trying to start a ford vs chevy thing, I am not a brand fanboy. Just my experience with Vortex has been less than stellar just as some say that about Nikon, Leupold, you name it and it doesn't bother me one bit.

Most products nowadays are plenty good for what most of us need them to do so I doubt you could go wrong between either of those. In other words If all my stuff was the lowest level Vortex made, I don't think any of my hunts would have ended any different than if I had used Nikons highest level EDG.

Best thing would be if you could get your hands on both outside at the same time.

I prefer Nikon optics comparing the same price points. I've owned a Vortex Viper scope, looked through several of their bino's out hunting and just recently compared a buddy's rangefinder against two of mine (leupold and bushnell). Killer marketing by eagle optics, cool packaging and great warranty but each product I've used has left me a little underwhelmed $ for $.

Not trying to start a ford vs chevy thing, I am not a brand fanboy. Just my experience with Vortex has been less than stellar just as some say that about Nikon, Leupold, you name it and it doesn't bother me one bit.

Most products nowadays are plenty good for what most of us need them to do so I doubt you could go wrong between either of those. In other words If all my stuff was the lowest level Vortex made, I don't think any of my hunts would have ended any different than if I had used Nikons highest level EDG.

Best thing would be if you could get your hands on both outside at the same time.

Good points. I agree as far as quality of the glass Nikon offers compared to lower end vortex if you are talking $ to $. I think they make good glass for the money. My biggest problem was that they lost a lonnnngtime customer in myself with horrible customer service and their joke of a warranty on two separate cases. Have you ever dealt with Nikon's customer service or warranty? Did you have a bad experience with vortex's warranty?

I was a diehard Nikon customer up until about 5 years ago. Owned a business in which we sold close to 1 mil $ of Nikon optics a year for several years. Most of my rifles had Monarch scopes on them, and the Monarch ATB was my go to set of binoculars. We dealt often with quality of workmanship returns that Nikon had refused to make right, or made it too difficult for the customer to jump through the hoops. Looking back, I am certain this played a role in the eventual failure of the business ( along with my ignorance and unwillingness to expand ).

Now, I don't believe I own any Nikon Optics, having either given them away or leaving them on rifles I have sold. I have a couple of the Viper 6.5-20x and love them. My main rifle, a .270 WSM has the Viper HST 4-16x44 and it is spot on every time with custom turrets.

Owning several Vortex products, I can't say anything about their customer service dept., because I have never needed to call them. The only product I have had that I would not recommend is the rangefinder, better to have an older Leica for the same money. Have known a few individuals who have utilized the no questions asked Vortex warranty and had nothing but good things to say.

Have heard good things about the Theron binocs, particularly here on this site, I have never looked through a pair. I own the 10x42 diamondbacks and believe them to be the best dollar for dollar out there. If you look for a sale or a demo sell off, pretty often they can be found at or under $200.

Have you ever dealt with Nikon's customer service or warranty? Did you have a bad experience with vortex's warranty?

I haven't dealt with either of them but I do know Vortex has made Nikon step up their warranty (still not to Vortex level) because they've proven to be so good at taking care of their customers. Honestly, I'm the same way, if a company is difficult to deal with or really takes care of me it goes a long way. I've had some good dealings with Leupold and Burris but no others in the optics arena.

Vortex warranty is awesome.

I have a pair of 10x42's that my brother dropped off the front seat of the truck last year while antelope hunting. I called their customer service and they offered to over night a pair of new binos to me so I could finish the hunt, No charge... I didn't take them up on their offer, but it was nice to know that the option was available. When I returned home I sent the binoculars in for repair. Less than one week later I had a new pair shipped to me.

I haven't dealt with either of them but I do know Vortex has made Nikon step up their warranty (still not to Vortex level) because they've proven to be so good at taking care of their customers. Honestly, I'm the same way, if a company is difficult to deal with or really takes care of me it goes a long way. I've had some good dealings with Leupold and Burris but no others in the optics arena.

Yeah I was pretty disappointed having owned many of their products over the past 10 years to end up having such crap warranty/customer service and that is my biggest issue with Nikon. I have a buddy who is a diehard Leupold guy and he has had great service and warranty with Leupold on two scopes he has had over the years.

I can't comment on the Vortex warranty as I have yet to have to use it - sure nice to know its there though. Counting scopes, binos, spotter and rangefinder, I am quite pleased with the now 9 pieces of Vortex glass I own.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fingelfinger
Back