Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Vortex Razor HD Spotter Opinions

Summitthunting

I'm looking into a Vortex Razor HD 16-48x65 Angled Spotting Scope. I'd like to hear some opinions from anyone that has one or has comparable glass. I'm thinking the 65 will be light enough to pack but won't leave me wanting more magnification. Thoughts on straight or angled? Thanks

angled

might be a little harder to find objects but once you get the hang of it its so much better.

I'm looking at getting this scope as well. Probably going to go straight though, I don't think I would ever get the hang of an angled one. In the end, you will be happy either way I'm sure.

That will be my next spotter, unless something else sweeps me off my feet. I have used this scope in the 11-33x a good amount. A sweet little scope that is, so light. Borrow one from cabelas for a weekend and make your decision.

I prefer angled, although the straight fits into a pack better.

I have that scope and love it. You won't go wrong with this scope.

That will be my next spotter, unless something else sweeps me off my feet. I have used this scope in the 11-33x a good amount. A sweet little scope that is, so light. Borrow one from cabelas for a weekend and make your decision.

I prefer angled, although the straight fits into a pack better.

Did you find the 11-33x to be underpowered or not enough with regards to light gathering early morning or late evening. I wanted this scope but feel I would want something a little better and worth the pack weight. Leaning toward the bigger scope as of now.

I have a vortex razor spotter 20-60x80 straight. I love the glass, but if I had to do it again I would go with a 65 mm lens to shave some weight. Have been satisfied with the straight model so far, and I think an angled spotter wouldnt fit in the side sleeve of my pack as well as the straight. Either way vortex makes a great product.

I really like my 65mm angled Spotter, glass is great. And the weight is ok to pack compared to the 80mm spotter.

Did you find the 11-33x to be underpowered or not enough with regards to light gathering early morning or late evening. I wanted this scope but feel I would want something a little better and worth the pack weight. Leaning toward the bigger scope as of now.

Yes. If I could go back I would have gotten the 65mm.

Nothing beats having both sizes for the right occasion. Nothing beats the 80-85mm for long distance and low light if you do not have to hike real far or pack a heavy camp . If I drive to hunt or have enough room when I fly I take both my 85mm and 60mm and use them according.

If you can only have one, go with the mid size. The light gathering issue is noticeable for sure. The 11-33x is great for meat hunts. Finding herds of deer, elk etc. Bears are easy to spot with it as well, as I like to scan hillsides on about 11-15x.

If your counting inches or looking for a single deer in low light, it's going to be much tougher. If that's mainly the kind of hunting you do, go with the 16-48x, or bigger if you have horses or are willing to carry it.

But the size and weight of the small one makes up for it's lowlight performance. I've never put my hands on an ED-50, but I couldn't believe how packable this thing is. This scope has yet to be left at home or in the truck, and we're always thankful we have it on the mountain.

I would go grab one from cabelas and use it on a scouting trip, as if you don't like it they will swap it out for the 16-48x for you no problem.

No Vortex line, I do not stay up on what they offer because they require a store front and I am Internet sales only. I am going to harp on them at the SHOT show in a couple weeks but it has been like talking to a brick wall in the past. I should tell everyone that asks if I sell Vortex to email Vortex and request they let me become a dealer:D I am also going to talk to Swaro for those interested.
It is really hard to answer your question of what is comparable, so many variables. You could put 3 of the same spotters with different outer cosmetics on them side by side and many would swear that one was better than the others. Trust me, in the past I have sold the same spotter in the past as another brand that everyone raves about and many would not believe it. Neither of those are sold anymore but it was kind of funny to read reviews. I sold mine for about 30% less. Lots of dirty little secrets in the Optics world that I won't get into. All I will say is you as the customer spend a lot on advertising and brand names when it comes to many name brands;) An example of not spending on advertising is the Saker. It sells great because it has GREAT optical quality for the price but lacks in the robust design and backing of a $1000 spotter. But I have tested it side by side with Minox and Zeiss of the same objective class with very little recognizable difference, and with other brands in the $400 range and it was better. That spotter was chosen as a model for it's optical performance over all other things. I tested factory samples that looked nicer with better styling but the optical quality would fall short. I wish I could change more with it like interchangeable EP's but it just will not happen at that price point.
But that all said, I think there are some overlooked spotters at a lower price than the Razor. One is the Pentax 65ED model. One of the great things about that scope is the ability to install many standard non-proprietary 1.25" astronomy EP's. This opens you up to many fixed and zoom options at a fraction of the cost of big name branded EP's. An example is I gave Mtmiller a Baader Hyperion Zoom EP I got as a sample and we tested it in his Zeiss 65mm on a high country hunt in Colorado. I read that many said it was as good or better than the Zeiss zoom and after seeing it I would not dismiss it. All you need to do is know the focal length of the spotter and divide it by the focal length of the EP and you will get your calculated zoom number. I have played around with spotters making adapters to fit a handful of generic EP's and the results are surprising. Never underestimate the performance of a good fixed power EP, they are optimized for that one focal length rather than having to settle for covering a wide range like a zoom has to deal with. My favorite EP is a 30X wide angle that I use on an 85mm spotter. it is so much more pleasant on the eye than a zoom and 30X seems to be a really good zoom for almost anything but I would not try it on a 65mm spotter, it would be too much zoom, but the reality is that same EP installed on a 65mm spotter would calculate out to around 20X anyway if you get my drift.
The Leupold Gold ring in the 60mm is another fantastic spotter. It is also the king of eye relief for those who wear glasses. I can quote you a very low price compared to what is advertised on-line, just PM me. Rules do not allow me to advertise openly under a certain price.
Sorry if this was long winded and if I have not answered your question, but maybe I can say more after the SHOT show.

Last edited:
So I had this one for awhile. I had the angled version. The straight eye piece is nice since you dont have to bend your neck as much, but my angled one the end where the eye piece is at rotated so I could sit down and still keep my neck upright. Also keep in mind the weight of a quality tripod also. Would require a taller one with the straight eye piece. Just another 2 cents worth of disscusion.

As people have mentioned, it really depends on how you hunt and what you hunt. I have not been disappointed by any of my vortex spotting scope. I have had a straight 65mm Vortex viper, I have had the 65mm Vortex Razor HD (straight) and now I have the 85mm angled scope. I thought the 65mm Razor would be the end-all scope for me and after I got it, I felt cheated. To me, the 65mm suffers from "tunnel vision" i.e. for me the field of view or something with the scope made it seems like I was looking down a straw. I hunt with 10x42 vortex razor hd bino's and I found the 65mm spotter to be very similar to my bino's for scouting (i.e. the viewing was very similar, other than the higher power zoom). So what that meant was, I would glass all day with my bino's, and then for 3 seconds I would pull out the scope and check the horn size. With that type of utilization, the spotting scope quickly became too much weight to deal with, and I started leaving it in the truck. So I was left with the decision, do I buy the small razor, so it can be used for 3 seconds per trip to check out animals, but the weight is minimal or do I upgrade and go bigger. I typically hunt a very large ranch during rifle season, with lots of wide opens spaces, so it made my decision for me. Go big. I have not had a chance to archery hunt with the larger scope, but during rifle season I was very happy to have the extra power. In my mind... all spotting scopes and tripods are heavy... so they better do something magical, or I am leaving them behind. The high power zoom, is that magical piece for me currently.

I avoided the angled scope for a long time, because I wanted to use the scope from the truck, during the off season. With all the adjustment you have with a ball mount window mount and the spotter's adjustment, I actually find the angled one easier in the truck... that was a surprise to me. On a tripod, the angled scope wins everyday of the week in my mind.

I think there are a lot of spotters that are better at a lower or equal price point than the Vortex.

In no particular order.

Meopta S2

Kowa Promar (this is the best spotter short of the Swarovski X series IMHO)

Zen Ray ED-2

That being said, I'm not a Vortex fan, they are cheap Asian glass with a good marketing job and hugely annoying fan boys.

Get a Swaro, Leica, Kowa Proimar, or Zeiss and you will be very happy. I personally prefer the larger scope as they are superior in Low light. If your worried about the extra pound, go to the gym and lose it :).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back