PEAX Equipment

Venison Breakfast Sausage

el unit

Easy, tasty, and very few ingredients. A great way to utilize some of this year's archery mule deer!

Deer or Elk Breakfast Sausage
5 lbs ground Deer or Elk
5 lbs ground pork (shoulder or butt roast)
4 T Salt
4 tsp Black Pepper
3 tsp Bells Seasoning (small, yellow box found near spices/seasonings at grocery store)
1/2 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
5 tsp sugar

Mix all ingredients thoroughly, then separate into individual packages for bulk sausage, or stuff into casings. Keep mixed sausage refrigerated for at least a few hours before cooking or freezing for better flavor. Of course, you must test a small amount before waiting three hours- no one can wait that long to try fresh sausage!
TIPS:
-I prefer natural casings vs collagen casings. Collagen casings are much easier to get, but natural casings provide a better "snap" and look. And they are Natural- not man made.
-Sheep or Lamb casings are smaller in diameter and are great for small breakfast sausage links and snack stix. They are delicate though, and I recommend a sausage stuffer press vs a powerful grinder with a stuffing attachment. The press will result in less casing breaks. Be sure to rinse natural casings thoroughly before use as they are usually packaged heavily in salt.
-inspect stuffed sausages before cooking and freezing. Poke any air bubbles with a small needle or pin.
Refs:
Recipe- Maine Street Meats Rockland, ME
Casings- Syracuse Casing Company, Syracuse, NY
Grinder/Stuffer- Weston, www.westonsupply.com
Enjoy!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 440
Elk Maple Breakfast Sausage is on the too do list for this weekend at my home. I bought an LEM burger press and I make patties instead of links. Looks tasty to me!

I have some maple breakfast sausage from both my antelope and my buck. I didn't make it myself, my butcher did, but it is definitely my new favorite thing!

I use Legg's number 10 seasoning as my go to for everything from wild hog, bear, deer, etc. If I need to make meatballs or something with a more Italian flavor, just add a few hits of oregano, etc. Makes great burgers, and of course amazing breakfast patties or a base for sausage gravy...

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back