Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Vanish and FireTiger's 2019 Journal

I was going for the red hair. Large family and 4 redheads, ( all different ) in the bunch . One of my sisters has the dark auburn hair and cannot go outside. Bees, wasps, small birds love her. If she is an hummingbirds environment, she is bombarded to hell.

The rest of us orange red, classic red, and my own light auburn fading to rustic red and grey and bald, are not bothered.

I would think flaming red hear would attract better than a bra or white panties.

And now back to our regularly scheduled programming,vanish take it away...Ha!,Ha! 🔥

Friday night we headed southeast. I like this drive. There's hardly any traffic. We arrived without a hitch and spent an hour gazing up at the stars from the bed of the truck. It was so nice out we left the back open all night. I think this made Hank nervous, as he seemed to be watching out the back all night.

Rather than head straight to our proven ground, we decided to check out some new territory first thing Saturday morning. Immediately upon hitting the first glassable hill, straight west we spotted a herd hanging out what seemed like two miles away. As we were deciding how to approach ( there was a fence in the vicinity we thought we could use for cover ), I saw another buck pop over the ridge and walk straight at us within 300 yards! On initial inspection, I thought he should walk as he looked pretty small. FireTiger put the scope on him and lo and behold he had a double horn on his passenger side! This changed my opinion and I quickly loaded the gun.

I didn't put a lot of effort into the stalk, hoping I could play on him being a younger buck and using his curiosity against him. It nearly worked, but some mis-communication between FireTiger and I, as well as me going into action a bit too hastily let him slip away. I believe he was in range, but I had left everything including the rangefinder at the truck... oops! Oh well, its still the first half hour of the season.

Looking back on the initial group, we determined the buck with them was huge. He also appeared to be smart, as he was keeping his does in the middle of a large valley with absolutely no terrain or cover, leaving little chance of a stalk. Looking around, we spotted a different lone buck that looked fairly decent heading a different direction, so we decided to leave this group for later in the day, as perhaps they would move to a more conducive location, and try to circle around and cut off this new buck.

The plan did not appear to work out, as apparently he had kicked it in to high gear and beaten us to the crossing where we were hoping to meet him. We busted yet a fourth buck while in the process. At least it appears this spot has potential! ...

We decided to keep scouting and come back to the big buck later in the day, hopefully moving to a more approachable location. As we came to an overlook with what looked like a small canyon in the bottom, we started spotting animals high up on the hill on the other side. It was time for a closer look.

uc

Finding an elevated position revealed a small herd with a decent buck just across the canyon ( what turned out to be a small creek ). We both knew this was the perfect opportunity for a stalk, as the drainage would give cover all the way to the animals. It was hard to judge just how far they were from the edge, but that'd be a task for later.

I took up spotting position while FireTiger dodged around some cattle and down into the creek. It was probably 3/4 of a mile to the animals, and she covered the majority of it in no time. The herd was working to the left, and she eased her way up the lip of the creek and waited. Magically, the animals turned and headed straight toward her. I think where she was waiting was a crossing area in the creek as opposed to the high wall of other spots and they were probably headed for a drink. A 70 yard shot and by 10:30am we had our first tag filled!

uc

uc

After the quartering and packout it was time for a lunch break. There had been a few more bucks in the area but nothing that screamed to me "GO NOW" so we took it easy for a bit and then decided I should go for the big boy, if we could relocate him.

This was not the greatest idea, as it was the heat of the day and it was about 1.5 miles just to get close. The heat waves were staggering, so I figured I could use that to help me close the distance. The fence was also useful and there was even some bits of old corral for me to hide behind, but I was still 400 yards away from the herd with absolutely nothing else to use for cover. I was sitting there trying to figure out what I could do except cross my fingers when a cow and calf decided to change things for me. I don't know why but they came from over a mile away and walked right between us, buggering the pronghorn out of the area. Oh well, it was a nice walk?!

After that little 3 mile jaunt, we decided to head back to the creek. Almost immediately we started spotting pronghorn up high again, and then lo and behold it appeared a new buck had taken up residence with the small herd FireTiger had relieved of its buck earlier in the day. This guy was not terribly interesting, so we decided to watch for awhile. After half an hour or so, one of the lone bucks on high started angling more toward the creek. More watching seemed to indicate he had seen the close group, and may be coming to investigate or fight for the does. I took this as my cue.

The first half of the stalk was nearly the same as the one FireTiger had put on. I even climbed up on the same bank. The buck was working his way directly to me, but was still 400 yards out when he pulled a 90 degree turn. Unsure of what changed, I started glassing very carefully ( the sun was shining on me ) and finally identified a third buck to my left about 1/2 mile distant. Back into the creek bed I dropped and tried to cut some distance.

I was running out of public land headed in that direction, so I eased back up and found buck three again, but not the buck I was stalking. Confused, I started glassing around and scratching my head when all of a sudden he appeared right in front of me, maybe 120 yards away and headed right toward me. There had been an unseen fold. I sunk back down and got on the bipod, but there was a hump between us at around 50 yards out. I told myself this was not a time to whack-a-mole as he'd spot me, and I forced myself to count to 60 waiting for horns to appear.

60 came and went and still no buck. Sharks... Alright, fine, I'll carefully pop up again. Wouldn't you know it he had turned and headed to my right now and he was within 40 yards of the bank, but I was out of position!

The next few minutes were super intense, as he was trotting along on top of the creek edge while I paralleled him in the bottom, with some sort of bushes between us. Twice I aimed off hand and was not comfortable as he was moving. Then he dumped into the creek and it got really exciting! :D I eased forward and came around a clump of bushes to find him at 25 yards. This time I did not hesitate on the off hand shot.

uc

uc

Headed back out tonight for the final weekend of archery elk, some deer scouting, and the first two days of our mule deer season. I have low expectations for the elk, but you never know!

As far as mule deer, I have been very excited about this tag since FireTiger had it last year. Mule Deer have been my nemesis since I moved to CO, and I hunted whitetails the last two years. It was a game time decision, but she is going to be able to be my spotter as well, so yay! However, my scouting so far this year has not turned up any bucks I am super excited about. I try not to get caught up in the antlers game, but I'd really like to find a mature buck. I'm hoping that I was just getting unlucky in my glassing the first few times. Pending lack of elk action, I'll be spending Saturday and Sunday glassing again.

Originally, I was supposed to have the entire week off really giving me the time to relax and search for a nice buck, but some matters have occurred and now I will only have Monday, Tuesday and potentially the following weekend. This is not a relaxing amount of time. :D Hopefully, I just get lucky!

Oh yeah, this is MY last big game tag in Colorado this year ... WHOA! I do have a turkey tag I'm hoping to squeeze in while FireTiger deer hunts. Doesn't mean I'll be done hunting as FireTiger's season is just kicking off, but there's a lot of ??? around the dates even still. And there's always Nebraska.

Last edited:
Friday night, we didn't arrive until after my father was already asleep. He hadn't been able to park at our agreed upon campsite as someone else was already there, so we unloaded our gear in a big pile instead of setting up camp and just went to bed, with the intention we would move in the morning.

Saturday morning before heading out, we got his report and it certainly changed my expectations. He had arrived Thursday night and hunted all day Friday. The weather had been dark and cool with intermittent rain, and the bulls were on fire! He said he'd spent at least 3 hours within 60 yards of several different bulls, but the deadfall and pines were so thick he could never get a shot. My dad is not a practiced caller. He'd felt confident that if I would have been there, we'd have at least one dead bull.

Now with my higher expectations, we hit the hills. It wasn't all that far to get back to where he'd gotten in to them the day before. We eased around waiting for a bugle, but the only thing making noise was the wind. It kept getting stronger and stronger, to the point that, around 11am, we began to think it was dangerous to even be in the woods. There is a lot of beetle kill and SAD aspens here and there were trees falling constantly. What a bummer compared to my Dad's stories of the day before!

Returning to camp, we found FireTiger had moved it and set up.

uc

uc

That evening was much of the same, sadly. It appeared that cold front had really gotten the elk stirred up, but it was over, and a high pressure system was blowing in behind it. We were really hoping to chase some bugles in the evening when the wind died down, but it never did, continuing on through the night.

The last day of the season was upon us. I knew there had to be elk in the area, but they weren't where we had looked for them the day before. Dad was tired of climbing over deadfall, so we decided to split up. He would set up near a bedding area while I climbed higher towards what I hoped would be a wind sanctuary. By 7:30am I was in new territory. Some of it was a danger zone (below), so I moved into stands of living conifers and finally found fresh sign.

uc

uc

I continued working that section and found more sign, but it appeared to be heading uphill. Another couple hundred yards up, it turns out there is an old abandoned logging road. I didn't know it was there as its not marked on any maps and it was overgrown enough to not be visible on satellite. This is one of those good/bad things, as it gave me an easy way to survey the country, but it also meant access, and not via the terrible stuff I had to climb over. Sure enough, it didn't take long to run into other hunters. They were surprised to found someone back there, as nobody else was parked wherever the road started and they were back 6 miles, but I hadn't come in via the road.

The wind was still with us. From 100 yards away, I couldn't hear their bugles. As the day continued to warm, the high winds continued to push, and once again it became dangerous. I had several limbs hit me, and one even damage my dang near brand new Hotwire site. A disappointing end to the 2019 archery elk season, but mule deer would immediately follow.

uc

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back