Utah youth elk hunt

jmccave3

Both my boys 12 and 13 got drawn for the Utah any elk hunt September 12-20. It will be their first hunt. I am looking for the highest concentration of elk to give them the best opportunity to see elk. My plan is to look for bulls but if time is getting short any elk is good. My current research points to the south slope because it seems to have good public land and a good elk herd. Does anyone have experience with this hunt? Any advice is welcomed.

To be honest, I have the same hunt with my son. The south slope is a big area and there are lots of elk up there. I have spent a fair amount of time above Tabiona but those elk tend to run to the reservation once the hunt starts. Good luck

To be honest, I have the same hunt with my son. The south slope is a big area and there are lots of elk up there. I have spent a fair amount of time above Tabiona but those elk tend to run to the reservation once the hunt starts. Good luck
Thanks. Do you think the elk will be on the reservation by the start of the season?

Welcome to HT. It can be frustrating when first posts are asking for a hunt location and doubly so when the poster then disappears. Please stay involved in the forum.

Since this is a youth hunt, PM me. I can offer you a little help but it's hard hiking.

Will you be able to able to scout?
The archery hunt ends right before the youth and has unlimited tags. It has been increasing in popularity as other tags become harder to draw.
I hope you and the boys have a great hunt.

We are going to get to Utah 5 days before the season to scout. Should give us time to move if we do not see what we want. We are from California so that is the earliest we can get there.

Not sure. I have archery hunted there a lot and have seen great bulls. They would be harder and harder to find as the season went on...I am not hunting in that area. But it’s a decent area to start.

Not sure. I have archery hunted there a lot and have seen great bulls. They would be harder and harder to find as the season went on...I am not hunting in that area. But it’s a decent area to start.

Sounds good. Thank you and good luck to your boy.

Only a month away. My son and I will be making the trip from Texas for our first time hunting in Utah, best of luck to you and your boys. Hope we all can find them, but regardless should be a fun week spent with our kids!

I am hoping to get my boys to see some rutting activity. But like you said it will be a great experience for them. Good luck to you guys too.

My son and I are flying up for a scouting trip tomorrow before school starts back up for him next week. Sounds like quite a few folks will be looking for love struck bulls in another month.

That's good you guys are getting over there to scout. We are going to get there a week early to look around.

Easier to take the extra time off for him now before school starts. We are starting in-person school here in Texas next week.

Very true. My boys are going to start with the distance learning so they will be home already.

My boys did not get anything. My youngest boy had a cow elk walk in on him but had a branch in his way. The bulls were not active during the day but once it got dark the got vocal for a little while and then stopped. If the weather is right I was told by other hunters that it is a great hunt. I would recommend this hunt to anyone.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back