Utah KUTV2 doing a report on SFW tonight at 10

Hopefully this will pave the way for a real conservation organization to associate with the Expo (read: RMEF).

Kind of odd they chose what looks to be a Red Deer for the photo on he article though.....

The report definitely made SFW look very bad.
They said Senator Dubakis was investigating and it was basically turning into a big can of worms.

The reporter said "there's much more here that we didn't have time to talk about" as he wrapped it up. Might wanot to sent a note/call the station and ask them for more. Keep the heat up.

KUTV and Chris Miller did a great job. SFW looked terrible IMHO. A bunch of guys did a lot of work to make this happen behind the scenes and deserve our appreciation.

Emails to KUTV to keep digging or responses to their Facebook page may help get a follow-up story. Also, all Utahans need to email the link to their Congressmen so they know the people are paying attention.

The interview with Asst. DWR Director Canning was really telling if you listen to his BS. He stated how detailed the SFW bid was and the RFP specifically stated that they didn't want a lot of fluff in the bids and that was certainly what happened in the jillion pages of patting on the back that SFW gave themselves. The fact that they already knew that RMEF had offered 100% of the 200 tag proceeds, 100% of the auction tag proceeds, as well as 50% of the overall profits from the entire Expo really needs to be brought out because they didn't change their bid one bit and won. They will still keep 70% of each $5 fees for the raffle tags and that is roughly $750,000 in an average year with none of that required to go back on the ground. They will also keep 10% of the money raised by the auction tags. That can be as much as $40K from just one tag alone. They will also gain 100% of the overall net proceeds from the entire Expo. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that they are in bed with the DWR and knew they had the contract sewed up even with that piss poor bid, as compared to what RMEF offered. Canning also said a big reason for the decision was credit card security when RMEF runs God knows how much money securely through credit card transactions yearly compared to that 4 day SFW Expo. The whole thing stinks to high heaven and I'm glad I'm up here in MI, but with a southwest breeze that we get a lot of the time I can smell the stink coming from there all the way up here!

Last edited:
KUTV and Chris Miller did a great job. SFW looked terrible IMHO. A bunch of guys did a lot of work to make this happen behind the scenes and deserve our appreciation.

Emails to KUTV to keep digging or responses to their Facebook page may help get a follow-up story. Also, all Utahans need to email the link to their Congressmen so they know the people are paying attention.
Do you have an email?

Have seen this getting a lot of press this past week, and deservedly so.

The Utah News article was posted on GOHUNT, and couldn't help but laugh when I saw this response and the source of the comment.

Mossback Guides and Outfitters - posted 15 hours ago on 02-29-2016 08:22:09 pm
Utah
goHUNT Business Member

Fact is RMEF lost, look at the proposals, look at the overall numbers. They (RMEF) are upset along with the 12 guys on Monster Muleys! Boycott Expo whatever - had record numbers of real blue collar hunter and exhibitors like Go-Hunt and many more. Do your research and look under this BS story and see the big picture. Ya there are problems and questions but welcome to life, gov and big money. If you have a problem and always see what's wrong instead of what's right. Then good luck you will never be happy with ANYTHING! Keep attacking us and people who are trying. Most people that complain about the 30% don't give a dam dime or any time to conservation. Ya I put in and ya my 30% went to conservation. At least I did contribute something other than a bashing of our life and industry! Great show, great exhibitors and amazing support from 45,000 hunters that do care and can see beyond a BS bias news report that was catered to RMEF and a few Monster Muley haters that are not, and do not belong with the average joe.

That is laughable. Most of the guys that I know that are upset about this are the epitome of DIY average joe sportsman. I'm in that group. I use what little spare time and spare money I have to hunt. How dare I have an opinion on something like this! I can't buy the Antelope Island Tag, so I should be disqualified from having a voice.

Also, there seems to be commonality between all the defenders of the status quo here. They always try to deflect and say that the guys bringing attention to this are somehow endangering the hunting industry and the hunting way of life. I'm not bashing on the industry or sportsmen in the least. Those who are frustrated are trying to ensure maximum benefit is realized by the wildlife and in turn the sportsman, especially Average Joe.

I'm a sportsman who values the ability to hunt and fish on public lands full of wildlife nearly as much as anything else in life. I see the trends and behaviors exhibited with this current situation as more endangering to my passion for wildlife and the outdoors than PETA has ever been to me. I'm complaining, and rightfully so.

That is laughable. Most of the guys that I know that are upset about this are the epitome of DIY average joe sportsman. I'm in that group. I use what little spare time and spare money I have to hunt. How dare I have an opinion on something like this! I can't buy the Antelope Island Tag, so I should be disqualified from having a voice.

Also, there seems to be commonality between all the defenders of the status quo here. They always try to deflect and say that the guys bringing attention to this are somehow endangering the hunting industry and the hunting way of life. I'm not bashing on the industry or sportsmen in the least. Those who are frustrated are trying to ensure maximum benefit is realized by the wildlife and in turn the sportsman, especially Average Joe.

I'm a sportsman who values the ability to hunt and fish on public lands full of wildlife nearly as much as anything else in life. I see the trends and behaviors exhibited with this current situation as more endangering to my passion for wildlife and the outdoors than PETA has ever been to me. I'm complaining, and rightfully so.

I think it is coincidental that PETA supporters and SFW supporters have the same arguments about defending themselves.

Deflect and Redirect - "Let's just get back to talking about all the good work that we do"

Demonizing the Enemy "If you don't agree with us, then you are a soulless monster that worships [Insert PC Suppression term]"

Victimizing Themselves "We are trying to stick up for what is right and these people are preforming unwarranted vicious attacks on us, we did nothing to deserve this"

SFW can easily suppress the dumpster fire by giving the actual numbers, but instead they lay dormant waiting for it to pass.

Have seen this getting a lot of press this past week, and deservedly so.

The Utah News article was posted on GOHUNT, and couldn't help but laugh when I saw this response and the source of the comment.

Mossback Guides and Outfitters - posted 15 hours ago on 02-29-2016 08:22:09 pm
Utah
goHUNT Business Member

Fact is RMEF lost, look at the proposals, look at the overall numbers. They (RMEF) are upset along with the 12 guys on Monster Muleys! Boycott Expo whatever - had record numbers of real blue collar hunter and exhibitors like Go-Hunt and many more. Do your research and look under this BS story and see the big picture. Ya there are problems and questions but welcome to life, gov and big money. If you have a problem and always see what's wrong instead of what's right. Then good luck you will never be happy with ANYTHING! Keep attacking us and people who are trying. Most people that complain about the 30% don't give a dam dime or any time to conservation. Ya I put in and ya my 30% went to conservation. At least I did contribute something other than a bashing of our life and industry! Great show, great exhibitors and amazing support from 45,000 hunters that do care and can see beyond a BS bias news report that was catered to RMEF and a few Monster Muley haters that are not, and do not belong with the average joe.

Some people talk out of a place where the air is not fresh.

RMEF has been asked multiple times to enjoin in litigation on the issue. RMEF has declined any such request. RMEF has moved on. Changing the relationship between DWR-SFW-Politicians is up to Utah residents.

RMEF is focused on mission work. All this talk that RMEF is somehow behind this continued request for transparency and accountability is BS. Whoever at Mossback posted that comment is seriously misinformed.

Maybe there is concern of risk to the cottage industry that has developed around this tag auction bonanza and some feel compelled to make such untruthful claims.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back