Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Utah fish lake early rifle elk!

fallfreak

I'm in disbelief. I drew a plateau/fish lake/1000 lakes early rifle elk tag in the random draw with 12pts. Any helpful info is appreciated. Coming from TN so no preseason scouting trip. I'm 44 and in decent shape. Season opens 4 months from today. This is going to be a lot of fun!

Wow that is outstanding. What a great hunt. I have heard that while the trophy potential may not be what it is in other units top tier units, that the Fishlake hunt is the funnest hunt in the west because of the size of the herd and the amount of bugling that goes on. People say its mesmerizing. Have a great hunt!!

Thanks for the thumbs up. Can't wait for this hunt. It will be my first LE elk tag .Looking forward to the planning and anticipation too! 4months to go.

I have hunted that unit for late season cow and the neighboring unit, Monroe, for cow elk archery. You'll have a ton of fun in beautiful country. But I would recommend that you go from decent shape to good shape if you want to maximize the opportunity. And bring your fishing gear.

Congrats on the great tag. I'm familiar with that unit because we spike elk hunt there. Spend some time in the area of Brown's Hole and Antoine Hollow. There's a ton of elk on the unit and you shouldn't have any problem finding a bull to hang your tag on. There's a ton of four-wheeler access and the elk will be on the ridges between the wheeler trails. I'd suggest bringing an ATV with you that's less than 50 inches wide. Many of the trails on the Fish Lake forest have width restrictions. I can't think of anything else to tell you about the unit. Hit me up if you have questions. I live about 2 hours from there and am willing to help.

Congrats on the great tag. I'm familiar with that unit because we spike elk hunt there. Spend some time in the area of Brown's Hole and Antoine Hollow. There's a ton of elk on the unit and you shouldn't have any problem finding a bull to hang your tag on. There's a ton of four-wheeler access and the elk will be on the ridges between the wheeler trails. I'd suggest bringing an ATV with you that's less than 50 inches wide. Many of the trails on the Fish Lake forest have width restrictions. I can't think of anything else to tell you about the unit. Hit me up if you have questions. I live about 2 hours from there and am willing to help.
Hey @JesseSr, I am new to the forum and can't PM, and I have a couple questions on spike hunting. Would you mind PMing me to start a conversation? Many Thanks!

Pfeifferhorn via Red Pine and Mount Olympus summit trails are two of my favorites when I want a real ass kicking. Crest is nice if you want to get miles without all the vertical and still have great scenery and views.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back