Caribou Gear Tarp

Utah elk hunt north and south slope info

i drew s slope muzzy deer,,so ill be in there just before the elk season starts.

I'm sure it's no help but there were Lots of deer on the south slope last year in the sage on the indian reservation. I'm sure there are some there but I don't recall seeing a single deer on the south slope where I was hunting Elk.

saw deer at 8000-9000 feet. Only does up higher. Didn't see any big bucks. Didn't hunt lower elevation to have a report.

a month ago saw buncha elk and mulies at 9-10k. but 2 snow storms so far this year, with more snow coming this weekend. things are changing quick

Hello hunters, I am planning a hunt this year for Utah, 1st week of Oct. Looking at the south slope or north slope , maybe Red Cloud loop or Moon lake area. Can anyone advise me how busy these areas are with other hunters? I've only hunted the backcountry of Montana where we saw maybe 6 other hunters at the trail heads. Really excited to hunt Utah and hope to find remote places. We will be backpacking in from the truck and setting spike camps. I don't mind going in really deep if we need to. Any advise is appreciated. I'm in Ohio and can give advise on whitetail if anyone is coming out this way for deer. Best regards- Rick
Hey man, im from ohio too. Im headed to the uintas in utah this year. Any tips?

Lots of pressure everywhere, very difficult to get away from crowds. Probably one of the worst OTC hunts in the west... Now that expectations are set, get out and enjoy the terrain, it's beautiful country. Utah has relatively few elk compared to other western states and the majority of them are in the limited entry areas. They upped the general tag numbers this year up to 17,000 general tags and also are now giving unlimited youth tags. I've hunted Utah archery general off and on since 2010 but only when I can't get a better tag. I'm a resident here so tags are cheap, if I were paying the price for an out of state tag I'd be in Colorado.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back