Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Utah Elk Draw

I've got 7 points and put in for lower tier tags. I don't ever PLAN on drawing, but I HOPE that someday I will. That hope is worth the price tag, for me.
Yep. And to the OP wasatch archery would be a good fit for your point situation. Good luck

My 3 observations about the points game (6 states for the last 5-7 years).

1. You are never guaranteed anything, it’s all a gamble.

2. Can’t win if you don’t play.

3. The more tags you apply for the better chances you have of drawing one.

With 9, 10 and 10 points for Bison, DBHS and RMBHS, respectively, I dropped out applying for those for my son and I. I had previously dropped RM Goat with 6 points. The odds just didn't make sense to me. I will take that $80 each year and do something with it. A few years back when Utah opened it up to where the NR's could apply for everything, I originally thought "wow, that's great, now I have a chance at drawing all of these. They really screwed the R's by not letting them do that." Now, I know who was really screwed and who really increased their income with that change.

Good luck to those of you that are still in for those drawings, I hope I helped your odds some.

I apply for UT every year because they have some good general season deer hunts that can be drawn almost every year by nonresidents. I can fly to SLC rent a car and be in some great deer county in a few hours for relatively low cost. If I'm applying for deer anyway, might as well apply for elk is the way I look at it.

somebody said “your odds don’t accumulate it’s still 2%”
you’re right and wrong. each year it is 2%. but if you apply for a 2% draw odds hunt every year for 20 years you will have a much greater than 2% chance of drawing it once in those 20 years. think of it as having 20 chances for a 2% event to occur. it’s just that those chances are spread out over time

somebody said “your odds don’t accumulate it’s still 2%”
you’re right and wrong. each year it is 2%. but if you apply for a 2% draw odds hunt every year for 20 years you will have a much greater than 2% chance of drawing it once in those 20 years. think of it as having 20 chances for a 2% event to occur. it’s just that those chances are spread out over time
(1-.02)^20=66.8% chance of not drawing, or a 33.2% of drawing at least once over a twenty year span.

To the OP considering Utah...
1) will you mule deer hunt general units every ~3 years going forward?
2) are you a sheep nut who absolutely needs to put in everywhere?
If no to the above, skip UT

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back