Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Utah Dedicated Hunter program

BraidenR

I have been thinking about applying for the dedicated hunter program this year. I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with this program. If so how was it. Please let me know the good, bad and, and ugly. I like the fact that it is going to "force" me into the service that I want to do anyways, but always have a convenient excuse to get out of doing my fair share for wildlife conservation. However, I feel like if the program is poorly ran then it will just be more of a headache then a value for me.

I have been thinking about applying for the dedicated hunter program this year. I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with this program. If so how was it. Please let me know the good, bad and, and ugly. I like the fact that it is going to "force" me into the service that I want to do anyways, but always have a convenient excuse to get out of doing my fair share for wildlife conservation. However, I feel like if the program is poorly ran then it will just be more of a headache then a value for me.

It’s a good program. I really like the service aspect of it and I have been able to meet some really neat people. The general units are nothing to write home about, in general (snicker;)), but hunting anywhere is fun and opportunities in Utah are tough.

Last edited:
If you are in the SLC area, I can point you towards a good way to get your hours.

The general units are nothing to write home about, in general (snicker;)), but hunting anywhere is fun and opportunities in Utah are tough.

This is very true. But being new to Archery, it would give me a good opportunity to put a lot of stalks in, and fall back on muzzle loader and rifle if that does not pan out. I also know a pretty good spot near some CWMU's that some better then average bucks lie all summer, but quickly move off about the first week of October. It could pan out for me. Thanks for letting me know your experience with it. Its good to hear.

If you are in the SLC area, I can point you towards a good way to get your hours.

I am a tad north of SLC but expect that I would have to travel some to projects. If I get drawn, I will get with you and see whats available.

This is very true. But being new to Archery, it would give me a good opportunity to put a lot of stalks in, and fall back on muzzle loader and rifle if that does not pan out. I also know a pretty good spot near some CWMU's that some better then average bucks lie all summer, but quickly move off about the first week of October. It could pan out for me. Thanks for letting me know your experience with it. Its good to hear.

I am a tad north of SLC but expect that I would have to travel some to projects. If I get drawn, I will get with you and see whats available.
Did you end up doing the program? What was your experience like? I'm not sure that I like the idea that you can only harvest 2 deer in 3 years... Granted, I guess you could put in for a decent unit that requires at least a point or two, every other year...

The value to me lies in the fact that I could potentially harvest 2 buck deer, and on the 3rd year hunt an OTC like Colorado or even do an Utah anterless deer hunt....

I'm torn.

I am a dedicated hunter and I love it. I add a cow elk tag during the summer. It allows me to harvest elk and deer for months.

I am a dedicated hunter and I love it. I add a cow elk tag during the summer. It allows me to harvest elk and deer for months.
I'm assuming that you are talking about getting the cow tag through the draw or OTC? There's not an option for that through the dedicated hunter program, correct?

You can take a cow elk during your bull or buck hunts, provided both tags are for the same hunt area.

There is some flexibility if you are an antlerless elk permit holder who also possesses a permit to hunt any one of the following seasons: •General-season buck deer (archery, muzzleloader, any legal weapon or dedicated hunter) •General-season bull elk (archery, muzzleloader, any legal weapon or multi-season) •Premium limited-entry buck deer (archery, muzzleloader, any legal weapon or multi-season) •Limited-entry buck deer (archery, muzzleloader, any legal weapon or multi-season)•Limited entry bull elk (archery, muzzleloader, any legal weapon or multi-season) •Antlerless deer or elk, excluding antlerless elk-control permits If your antlerless elk permit is for the same area as one of the permits listed above—and you use the appropriate weapon type specified for your current hunting season—you may use your antlerless permit during the season dates authorized for your other permit.

You can take a cow elk during your bull or buck hunts, provided both tags are for the same hunt area.

There is some flexibility if you are an antlerless elk permit holder who also possesses a permit to hunt any one of the following seasons: •General-season buck deer (archery, muzzleloader, any legal weapon or dedicated hunter) •General-season bull elk (archery, muzzleloader, any legal weapon or multi-season) •Premium limited-entry buck deer (archery, muzzleloader, any legal weapon or multi-season) •Limited-entry buck deer (archery, muzzleloader, any legal weapon or multi-season)•Limited entry bull elk (archery, muzzleloader, any legal weapon or multi-season) •Antlerless deer or elk, excluding antlerless elk-control permits If your antlerless elk permit is for the same area as one of the permits listed above—and you use the appropriate weapon type specified for your current hunting season—you may use your antlerless permit during the season dates authorized for your other permit.
This is true for some units but not all. Just check the regs to be sure if it applies to your unit. I have been lucky enough to take a cow on a control tag on a few of my muzzy deer hunts. Has become one of my favorite hunts.

Back