Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Using scents to attract moose ?

Akcabin

Have any of you all used liquid scent to attract bull moose ? If so maybe what where how n such ? Are their distinct differences in deer, elk or moose ?
We generally have a slight wind from the north so I have tried setting them up in a line with me so the scent covers my hunting area. But not much experience.
As a general rule do you find scents to help ?
Thanks folks

Probably would do better with calling and glassing then scents, I wouldn't mess with it. I understand that you would be doing it in combination but I don't think it would be worth the effort. Plus I've never seen moose pee for sell anywhere and you going and getting it on your own would be harder then killing one, lol.

I live near the border and I know guys who work with dogs for CBP and we always see the drug bust' on the local news. It amazes me how dogs can sniff out drugs that have been elaborately concealed in supposedly scent blocking layers of all kinds of stuff but the dogs can sniff it out.

So my point is that any scent blockers or masking isn't going to work. The deer/moose are going to smell you and whatever else you're wearing.

Bulls wallow in their own urine & mud blend. It's a cow attractant, bull moose cologne. I've taken some stinky bulls. I don't know if bulls are interested in cow scent much. Calling and glassing works best for me.

A few wallow pictures, walking through these will stink the boots up a few days. The ladies love it!

Moose wallow.JPGMoose wallow 1.JPGMoose wallow 2.JPG

Have any of you all used liquid scent to attract bull moose ? If so maybe what where how n such ? Are their distinct differences in deer, elk or moose ?
We generally have a slight wind from the north so I have tried setting them up in a line with me so the scent covers my hunting area. But not much experience.
As a general rule do you find scents to help ?
Thanks folks
Illegal in many units: "Using moose, caribou, or reindeer urine as scent lures in Units 12, 19-21, 24-25, 26B, and 26C."

Illegal in many units: "Using moose, caribou, or reindeer urine as scent lures in Units 12, 19-21, 24-25, 26B, and 26C."
Yeah thanks, I don't hunt those units. Just wondering what their reasoning was ? It also says urine. So maybe has to do with the urine n not urine scent as an attractant. Not sure if other moose stuff is used but lots of synthetic scents I believe.
My thoughts are. Since it can take a day for a bull to respond to calls. Scents could maybe hold them in the area a bit longer.
And the use their nose a lot during mating season. If I had a scent out that let the odors mix with the prevailing wind may attract bulls closer and linger longer.
I've never used them much except trying to learn. Any suggestions from folks who do use them as attractants ?

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back