Using citrus

Akcabin

I have been using citrus from a powder to spray down hanging moose quarters. With ok results. Also spraying on lemon juice n sprinkling with pepper.
We use the best quality game bags we can get, going to try soaking the bags.
We keep smudge fires smoking. But blow flies are pretty determined to get in and lay eggs. We try to seal the bags as good as we can but little buggers still get in.
What do you all use to keep flies off your meat ?
I insulated my generator shed 8x12' n have a little air conditioner to hook up thinking I will have a walk in cooler, anybody done this?

I've only had fly issues one time on an elk in early September. I didn't have good game bags, just those cheap cheese cloth type. I've never had a problem on dozens and dozens of animals in Alaska, Aug-Sept. I used citrus a few times, but don't anymore. I don't treat bags, or use black pepper or anything. I just try to move fast and get the meat into good bags as soon as possible and tie up the bag, the draw string isn't enough. I will check the meat the next morning when its cold and no flies around, look for any eggs and cut off any suspect pieces or pieces with white specs on them and put the meat in a clean bag. Flies will also lay eggs on the outside of the bag. They are usually pretty easy to see, and are in the moist, and fold areas. Once the meat has a crust, the only place the flies will lay eggs are in the areas that haven't crusted up or is exposed. Its not hard to keep the flies away in my experience.

I also like Iike the meat to form a crust on the outside but seems in rainy weather that's difficult.

Back