Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Using ATV's while hunting

Well, as far as I know, you're breaking the law if you ride off an established road or trail on all BLM. I believe the law is the same on Forest Service land. Private land, of course, has the rules set by the landowner.

I'm not too crazy about the guys who use ATVs on public land, but PRIVATE land is a horse of a different color. Since I am a landowner along with a few other guys, we sat down and talked about how we were going to hunt our property and exactly how ATVs were going to be used. No driving up to the peak on one, no chasing animals, limited to using old skid trails and roads, no offroad stuff and nothing over 10 mph.
As of yet I don't own one, but that may change soon -being a property owner and all. I stillhunted and walked my butt off (when I came across fresh tracks) for nearly a full week. The majority of the bucks on our land live in large groups and are nearly constantly moving from feed to water and back during the season. Of course this all changes later during the rut. I could never find them and it seemed I was always a half mile behind them.
I got my only shot during that whole week at a solitary 3 point when I borrowed one of the ATVs. If the deer are going to use this grouping up tatic, I think an ATV might be one of the ways to close the gap. I'll still keep trying to sneak along the peaks for a big one without an ATV, but if a meat buck is on the agenda, I don't think I'll have a problem looking for one on a scooter.

It-call your local forest service office. I asked them here and they allow atv use off road for game retrieval only and you still can't ride across cienegas and do damage in wet areas or will get ticketed. It really isn't needed much as we have a million roads cutting across all the units. I saw a guide camp send out their boy bitch with an atv and large trailer in 5BS to get client animals. Rode right through the woods and past my ground set up.

LILIdaho.....

PS who do I ask to get into the Sportsmans issues?

I added you to that section. It should show up on your screen now. Also, I added you to the Adult joke section. I figured if you're man enough for the SI section then you can see the Adult jokes as well :)

Anyone else just PM me.............

I f there used legally and with in reason such as not making any new trails and being used to game game out as long as they are following the laws of use fine but to many abuse the privlege of owner and using them

Back