Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Using a fish house as a tent?

Flatlander3

Has anyone used a insulated pop up ice/fish house as a tent while camping in mountains? Or has any opinions for or against it even if you haven't? I have a pop up 6x12 insulated fish house that i feel like would be a decent cold wheather tent? What are your thoughts? Am I just being cheap and trying to strectch the use?

Yeah if you are just truck camping who cares! Saves you from having to buy something this close to season.

Used to sleep in my double bull in Texas all the time.....but that was to beat the deer to the feeder of a morning hunt. lol

ah the good ole days of feeder watching

Good idea. This gets it ready for hardwater too!

The only two potential problems I see are that they tend to not be very waterproof in the rain and they dont handle a heavy snow load. Otherwise, they work great. Burbot fishermen sleep in them all the time on Flaming Gorge.

I have used my ice fishing shelter for elk camp more often than fishing. It works well, with a few cautions. In some conditions I have had a lot of condensation build up on the ceiling overnight. Rain can come through the stitching holes in the top too. A towel and tarp are good to have available for those problems.

Be sure to stake it down solid, especially in open areas. One calm night I was nearly done setting up camp when a strong wind suddenly started. It was surprising how well a cube-shaped shelter can roll across the sagebrush. I chased it across the desert by moonlight, hoping with each step there were no badger holes. Ever since, I either stake it or at least tie it to the cooler as soon as it is up.

That was my two concerns, rain and wind. I figured really good stake down but not 100% sure on the rain/snow. The fabric is water resistant but i wouldn't say water proof. Would you drape a big tarp over top right away at camp set up or wait to see what the forcast brings?

That was my two concerns, rain and wind. I figured really good stake down but not 100% sure on the rain/snow. The fabric is water resistant but i wouldn't say water proof. Would you drape a big tarp over top right away at camp set up or wait to see what the forcast brings?

You'll regret waiting to see what the forecast brings. Not sure where you're planning on using it, but in the fall in the west, weather changes are the norm. If you set it up in the trees, you can suspend a tarp over it. Even a heavy (5 mil) clear dropcloth with rocks in the corners so that you have something to tie to will do the trick.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back