Used deep freeze age

Ttannahill14

So my ancient deep freezer crapped out on me. I have my meat temporarily at the in-laws but we sent some steers off to get butchered the other day and they'll be ready in a few weeks... So I need a new deep freeze before that happens.

My old chest freezer really used up some energy. There are plenty of good buys on Craigslist for used deep freezes. Does anybody know about how old of freezer I could buy without compromising my energy bill. When did that technology really improve that much.

I found a chest freezer @ HD with a small dent in side for $200.
It works great and now my Fridgidaire commercial will be repaired for backup.

I would also look at HD/Menards/Lowes for a new one...deep freezers are something I wouldn't want to buy used or find out someone else's problems. Is it worth saving 50 dollars? Plus you'll have the new energy star model.

My brother has an appliance repair business. These things last forever - how old was your old one? The door gasket will go first, but with a chest type the impact of a bad door gasket is minimal. If you buy new get the basic model - on the frost-free uprights you are basically waiting for the timer on the heating element to stick on and thaw the contents. The guts are the same and all the fancy extras do is make them less reliable. Look around - people often get tired of looking at the same old appliance and a used one may be available cheap.

We have an upright freezer that our neighbors gave us for free over 20 years ago that we use for all our game meat. Freezers use very little power because they only come on occasionally and stay frozen for a very long time with that short time of operation.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back