MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Upgrade from a Tikka T3x 270

blueknight99

I have Tikka T3x Hunter in 270 Win and although I like the gun, would like to upgrade to something nicer. Have narrowed down the caliber to 6.5 Creedmoor . Reason being it is enough for deer hunting and it is also low(er) recoiling than the .270 to enjoy off season for precision target shooting fun at the ranges/outdoor.

Budget max to $2300 (would prefer to spend less to save more towards a nice scope though).

Don’t know many options as of now but looking at the below. In the process of doing my homework and research to narrow down one.

- Christensen Traverse - No idea how this is in real life usage as no reviews online other than advertising.
- Barrett Fieldcraft - will it do well with a heavier scope combo with the light barrel? Main concern is the accuracy during hunting from improvised tree stand positions.

Suggestions and opinions most welcome. My accuracy benchmark is the Tikka. At least 1 MOA out of the box.

Last edited:
Are you looking for light mountain hiking rifle (with it's inherent additional recoil) or is a more traditional weight rifle OK for your use case?

Depending on what you want to do with it as VikingsGuy asked, I’d likely suggest the Traverse. I looked pretty hard at the Fieldcraft before buying a CA Ridgeline. I decided the Fieldcraft was just too light. For me, there’s a happy medium when it comes to rifle weight. My Ridgeline, scoped with a VX6 2-12, slung with a Galco Riflemann sling and rear stock laced with an Andy Langlois ammo cuff, weighs exactly 9 lbs unloaded.

p.s. Same barrel as the Traverse, my 6.5 PRC rifle shoots .5 MOA without much effort using Hornady Precision Hunter ammo.

Are you looking for light mountain hiking rifle (with it's inherent additional recoil) or is a more traditional weight rifle OK for your use case?
Traditional weight is fine by me. Don’t mind lugging the extra weight. This would not be my mountain hiking rifle, I will get a separate one for that next year.

Depending on what you want to do with it as VikingsGuy asked, I’d likely suggest the Traverse. I looked pretty hard at the Fieldcraft before buying a CA Ridgeline. I decided the Fieldcraft was just too light. For me, there’s a happy medium when it comes to rifle weight. My Ridgeline, scoped with a VX6 2-12, slung with a Galco Riflemann sling and rear stock laced with an Andy Langlois ammo cuff, weighs exactly 9 lbs unloaded.

p.s. Same barrel as the Traverse, my 6.5 PRC rifle shoots .5 MOA without much effort using Hornady Precision Hunter ammo.

Thanks mate! +1 to the Christensen. I was at the crossroads with the Fieldcraft as well with it being too light unless hiking up the mountains. Would prefer a heavier, more stable barrel. Plus the CA Traverse seems to be built like a tank.

Thanks mate! +1 to the Christensen. I was at the crossroads with the Fieldcraft as well with it being too light unless hiking up the mountains. Would prefer a heavier, more stable barrel. Plus the CA Traverse seems to be built like a tank.

I don’t think you could go wrong with it. I really like my Ridgeline.

I bought a cooper of Montana M92 backcountry 25-06 and the gun is amazing fit finish and it shoots bugholes. It weighs in at 92 ounces but it’s a bit more than you said you wanted to spend. You can pick up a cooper model 52 timberline within your stated budget brand new though just heavier.

Sportsman’s warehouses carry the cooper m52 timberlines as well if one is in your area you could handle the rifle

Traditional weight is fine by me. Don’t mind lugging the extra weight. This would not be my mountain hiking rifle, I will get a separate one for that next year.
If you are looking for recoil reduction you want a 7-8 lb gun that will be 8-9 with scope/rings. Some 6.5 cartridges will have less recoil than a .270 (like 6.5 creedmoore), but there are some that have as much or more (like 26 Nosler or 6.5-300 weatherby). FWIW - If you want recoil reduction for deer hunting I would get a .243 Win.

There ares some special edition #2 contour, 22" Fieldcrafts out there, it'd be at or near the top of my list.

Want to consider the Christensen Traverse from my shortlist but seem to be reading several posts on various forums as to Christensen being hit or miss and people having issues with the accuracy of the rifles. Their CS also seems to be getting a bad rap. Now, I am hesitant to spend $2k plus on a wile and deal with QC issues and add to it the supposedly bad CS.

Anyone here who owns the CA (Christensen) rifles ? Would rather hear from a member here who actually own one.

Last edited:
If your willing to spend $2,300 on a Christensen, i'd advise on saving up a little more, for better quality.
Something in the Proof Research, New Ultra Light Arms, Cooper, Dakota, Gunwerks range.
Although Dakota & Gunwerks the more expensive, beautiful, well fitting, good shooting guns all.

Or you could go the sensible route and change stocks on the Tikka for way less.

If I were in your shoes I would put some thought into what you really want in your rifle. You are talking about spending enough money to really get exactly the rifle you want, down to the last details. Some of the things I would be looking for.

- premium stock in the configuration you like straight, high comb, vertical grip, etc (one of the aftermarket options or the good in house options)
- top end adjustable trigger (timney, jewel, triggertech, etc)
- stainless and weather coated (cerakote or similar)
- safety confoguration
- magazine configuration (blind, floor plate, detachable)

Unless you plan on doing some serious long range shooting, you probably already have plenty of “hunting accuracy”, now you can let your ideal rifle design guide your purchase....

Last edited:
You wouldn't have to save up much more to get a nice rifle built by a quality gunsmith. I have a couple NIB Rem 700 rifles in the top of my closet that I bought on super black Friday sale last year just for the actions. In years to come they will be built into the rifles I want them to be. If you find the right guy, and buy many of the components yourself, you'd be surprised at how much you can get a truing and rebarrel done for.

For what you are wanting to spend you can have a rifle built. There isn’t a production rifle out there that I would pay $2300 for. You have a great platform to start with. A better stock and barrel can be put on your Tikka action for significantly less than $2300.
I sent a 700 5R 308 to Apache Machine in NC. Steve trued the action, installed and chambered, and threaded a 6.5mm 24” Kreiger, installed and timed my muzzle break, bedded the action in the HS stock and installed a Rifle Basix trigger and . Cerakoted the metal. Total was $1800. First 5 140 Amaxes down the pipe went into one ragged hole. It will consistently shoot in the .3s if I do my part.
Your probably not going to get that performance from a mass produced rifle.
He’s currently working on a beater Model 7 I sent him. Truing the action, installing a .308 20” Kreiger, threading the muzzle for my suppressor, Bedding an HS stock I provided, and Cerakoting all the metal. Total price including barrel is $1300.

I'd just buy a Remington Model Seven SS in 6.5 Creed. I own about 6 M700s and Model Sevens.

I've never had to have the action trued to have it shoot accurately. That encompasses year models from the mid 90s and all the way up to about a month ago.

You could be into a complete setup for way less than the $2300.

Good luck with your search.

Another option is to watch classifieds for a used custom. I sold a GAP built 7-08 a few years ago for under your budget. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a used custom from a reputable builder and seller. Gradous, GAP, APA type builds. Rokslide, snipershide, and 24hourcampfire have pretty active high end rifle sale sections.

All good suggestions guys. Although I very much love the idea of building a custom rifle. Unfortunately this year I wouldn’t have time for it. Will definitely get started later this year for the custom one.

For the factory ones I will explore some options like std7mag suggested

For what you are wanting to spend you can have a rifle built. There isn’t a production rifle out there that I would pay $2300 for. You have a great platform to start with. A better stock and barrel can be put on your Tikka action for significantly less than $2300.
I sent a 700 5R 308 to Apache Machine in NC. Steve trued the action, installed and chambered, and threaded a 6.5mm 24” Kreiger, installed and timed my muzzle break, bedded the action in the HS stock and installed a Rifle Basix trigger and . Cerakoted the metal. Total was $1800. First 5 140 Amaxes down the pipe went into one ragged hole. It will consistently shoot in the .3s if I do my part.
Your probably not going to get that performance from a mass produced rifle.
He’s currently working on a beater Model 7 I sent him. Truing the action, installing a .308 20” Kreiger, threading the muzzle for my suppressor, Bedding an HS stock I provided, and Cerakoting all the metal. Total price including barrel is $1300.

Seems like Apache Machine in NC is a good gunsmith. I need some good recommendations for a gunsmith who can help me build a nice custom rifle. That part you guys have me convinced.

On the other hand, looking for an MOA shooting factory rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor for this year’s hunting season. Looking hard at the Tikka (yes Tikka again, already put up T3X Hunter in .270 for sale as I don’t see the need for a .270 for my needs) T3X Camo Stainless In 6.5CM but doesn’t seem to be available anywhere I see yet.

As the other poster said, the Tikka action too would serve as a good base for a better barrel and stock config.

By the way can anyone tell me if the Christensen Traverse is based on the Remington 700 action?? Or is it proprietary?

Back