MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Unsuccesful Colorado trip

prhunter

Just returned from my Colorado muzzleloader elk hunt. The area we hunted was at elevations above 10,800' to approximately 11,300'. There was a lot of elk sign (rubs, tracks, etc.) in the area which made things look promising.

On day two of the hunt we had 4 different bulls responding to my cow calls from the bottom of a small canyon. It sounded like two of them were hot so we held our position thinking the bulls will close the distance but they never did. After approximately an hour of calling I made my move but the bulls stopped talking and could not be located. The rest of the trip was quiet with very little bugling activity.

Overall, it was a great trip minus the little elk activity. It was not as crowded as I thought it would be and the weather was warm which I think had something to do with the bulls not being so vocal. Already planning for next year's hunt. I will post some pics soon.

if i had dollar for every time i heard the colorado muzzleloader report was something like this...

if i had dollar for every time i heard the colorado muzzleloader report was something like this...

Last year was the first time since I started hunting that I heard an elk bugle in CO.

IMHO it has nothing to do with weather and everything to do with hundreds of dudes chasing them around with hochie mamas for 3 months a year for decades.

Nice camp. 👍 Hope you had a great time. I too was unsuccessful but had lots of fun and met many good Americans.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back