Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Unit 652 deer draw success

poormanslam

I had quite a few points and knew unit 270 was a pipe dream. I burned my points on unit 652. I have never been in the unit but have talked to several people who have. A few questions.

The rut? After Nov 10?
Any time during the season when hunter numbers may be less than others?
Any other pointers.

thanks in advance. It’s nice to have a tag in my pocket so early in the process. Good luck to you all.

Just a heads up if you didn't already know, they doubled the tag numbers a few years back for this district. Should be a fun hunt though, that country is awesome once the deer start moving in November.

i also have the tag and my son, scouted alot last winter to see what bucks made it, cant wait

Bulldog, if I read between the lines on your post. The additional 50 tags have had a severe impact on the hunt?
Just wanted to give you a heads up that there are twice the number of people out there as there used to be, so unlike tag holders of the past you're going to see people. I'm sure the quality of deer has suffered because if it to some extent, but the narrowness of the unit probably hurts just as much as the extra tags given. What I can say is you're going to have a ton of fun. It's awesome country and big deer can still hide out in that terrain.

Does anyone know why this unit's boundaries are they way they are?...seems odd.

Because it’s a fun area to hunt. You’ve got multiple developed campgrounds/cabin sites and are able to hunt from boat or vehicle in the badlands. It’s bordered by the reservoir and highways, similar to many units but before limited draw, this area was just loved to death by hunters.

Because it’s a fun area to hunt. You’ve got multiple developed campgrounds/cabin sites and are able to hunt from boat or vehicle in the badlands. It’s bordered by the reservoir and highways, similar to many units but before limited draw, this area was just loved to death by hunters.

Gotcha, Thanks

i got a feeling this unit will go to a general hunt do to deer numbers vs. disease problems

Good luck! This is one of the LE units I am looking at in the future.

How many points did you have if you don’t mind me asking?

I'm in the same boat as you. Didn't want to wait forever for 270. I went along with my Dad on his sheep hunt in the breaks a few years back and loved it so thought I would try a totally new breaks area for the adventure. I drew it this year with 8 points and am really excited to learn the area, possibly do some fishing while camped there, and hopefully turn up some decent muleys. Based on FWP harvest statistics it doesn't appear many people get a buck with a bow so may just wait for the rut. Although, probably a lot less people during archery...

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back