Caribou Gear

Unit 4A - Idaho

littleben

Anyone have any experience hunting elk or deer in Unit 4A in Idaho? I'm thinking about hunting there this fall and was looking for some information/advise on what to expect in this unit. Thanks

Hey Benny I hunted in Idaho around CourdAlene. I can't remember what unit it was, but we hunted Fouth of July Pass, there were elk there but the problem was seeing them. We hunted rifle season, late season. Hard to find shooting lanes and not alot of elk. I am a member of NAHC and alot of members wrote to me stating not to many elk in that area. Very hard to hunt in my opinion. First time to Idaho and really got an eye opener. Hope this helps. Not to sound negative hope the hunt goes great, post pictures. HAPPY HUNTING :D

There's some good elk in that country if'n you can find'em. You're looking at some steep country there being on top of the Monarchs. Who you going hunting with? Is someone scouting the area for you? Where you gonna stay?

My dad and I are going to be hunting together. I really enjoy spending time with him....even if we don't get an animal. We have a tent that we are going to stay in. thanks

Where ya comin from Benny?
I"ve been in that country a lot over the years...why is it your are chosing that area? Just curious.
There are TONS of elk there, but in many cases you can be 5 yards from them and not even see brown!! However, they are not unkillable and many guys take bulls outta there every year. I know several...
Ernie

There are elk there to be killed that's for sure, but I'd hunt a different location. Oh, that's right, I do hunt a different location.....

I hunt unit 6, my cabin is on the St. Joe. I took a friend with me last year (it was his first time hunting in the area), six months before hunting season, I told him he had better get his fat ass on the stairmaster. After the first days hunt, his first words to me were "I wish someone would have told me to get my fat ass on the stairmaster." Steap country, hard work, but it can payoff. I am sure units 4 and 4a are very much the same.

I've lived in, ATV'd, and hunted many protions of unit 4. There are elk there, but it's either steep and brushy country, or steep and timbered. Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back