Unit 34 NM

Hogcalls

I’m headed back to NM to hunt Mule Deer this Sept. I’m curious if anyone has hunted unit 34 the past couple years and where they have seen deer. I’ve hunted towards Mayhill and Southeast of Weed I’m the past. Any tips are appreciated.

Lots of deer. Bucks are hard to find. Dog canyon used to be my go to spot. Unless you cross two canyons in from the circle, bucks are scarce. Tony Lama has a private ranch that is well run. Might have luck on the edges.

Last time I hunted 34, based out of Weed. Hunted the canyons around there. Big country and some country to cover. Saw lots of does and they were much smaller than the past. Saw a possible spike, but never could confirm it. Pretty small.

Best luck might be hunting under the rim closer to Cloudcroft. There are some roads into the rim and then drop down. I am too old to hunt it; it would be hard. Not the hunt, but the pack out. Would be the best bet for a buck. I am thinking specifically of the rim above the Bug Tussle Ranch.

Hard hunt. I have glassed from the rim, and saw deer. but could not convince myself to go down and carry a deer back up.

Lots of deer. Bucks are hard to find. Dog canyon used to be my go to spot. Unless you cross two canyons in from the circle, bucks are scarce. Tony Lama has a private ranch that is well run. Might have luck on the edges.

Last time I hunted 34, based out of Weed. Hunted the canyons around there. Big country and some country to cover. Saw lots of does and they were much smaller than the past. Saw a possible spike, but never could confirm it. Pretty small.

Best luck might be hunting under the rim closer to Cloudcroft. There are some roads into the rim and then drop down. I am too old to hunt it; it would be hard. Not the hunt, but the pack out. Would be the best bet for a buck. I am thinking specifically of the rim above the Bug Tussle Ranch.

Hard hunt. I have glassed from the rim, and saw deer. but could not convince myself to go down and carry a deer back up.
Thanks. I’ve hunted many parts of 34 but never by the rim. I’ve been told in the past that area by big scuffle and circle cross are good areas but never hunted it.

One additional thought; if you have access to horses, hunt around Duncan. Rolling hills and big valleys. Would not hike it. Some of the biggest bucks I have seen are there. Big country and long shots.

One additional thought; if you have access to horses, hunt around Duncan. Rolling hills and big valleys. Would not hike it. Some of the biggest bucks I have seen are there. Big country and long shots.
Where is Duncan?

+1
prod.jpg

Quick question. Are you referring to Bug Scuffle Ranch? If so, are you more looking at the Hornbuckle Canyon and Apple Tree Canyon...or further NE at Harris Canyon? You are correct in one thing. Hard Country.

The Bug Scuffle ranch is below the rim.

Dog Canyon I am referring to is between Pinon and Cloudcroft in rolling hills.

The Bug Scuffle ranch is below the rim.

Dog Canyon I am referring to is between Pinon and Cloudcroft in rolling hills.
Understood. It has been many years since I was in Cloudcroft. I was wondering about the location of the rim you are referring to. I think I have it located now. thank for the reply

Thinking of applying in this area but I have friend that wants to go but can't walk very well he ride's a 4wheeler to get around any suggestion's?

Thinking of applying in this area but I have friend that wants to go but can't walk very well he ride's a 4wheeler to get around any suggestion's?
There's plenty of folks who don't leave the road and there are plenty of roads too. I wouldn't expect to see any bucks though.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back