Unit 313 questions.

earlybird

Hello All. Been lurking on here for a while and am really impressed with the info. Hope everyone is gearing up for a good fall. I am asking this for a friend that drew this tag and is pretty green on the computer.

First, are there any outfitters willing to guide a goat hunter.
Or if I was going to do it myself what would be a good area to start scouting. Not looking to take over someones honeyhole, Just want a shove in the right direction. If it matters we have a good pack string of horses and know how to use them in the rough country, Thanks for any advice.

Hello All. Been lurking on here for a while and am really impressed with the info. Hope everyone is gearing up for a good fall. I am asking this for a friend that drew this tag and is pretty green on the computer.

First, are there any outfitters willing to guide a goat hunter.
Or if I was going to do it myself what would be a good area to start scouting. Not looking to take over someones honeyhole, Just want a shove in the right direction. If it matters we have a good pack string of horses and know how to use them in the rough country, Thanks for any advice.
You are asking for a lot being a newb. Word of advice....start doing some serious homework....F&G Dept. Wardens, Biologists ect. Get maps get everytghing you can ,compile all the data you can find,Show the members that you have done something other than ask for a handout.Go back through the countless posts on hear and read,read read what they say about different ares. Then PM someone,introduce your self, be polite, and explain what help you MIGHT need. Then maybe you will get some advice you seek. Until then.....take my advice. :cool:

Last edited:
Sorry didn't mean to come across like this is the only place I have started. I have talked to every stinkin goat bilogist in Montana in the past couple weeks. They are a bit vague as to even what side of the the unit or which trailhead is a good place to start. I have read enough threads on here the last few weeks that my eyes hurt. I was just trying to narrow it down a bit. I live 7 hours from the unit, running over there to scout every weekend is kinda tough.

Sorry didn't mean to come across like this is the only place I have started. I have talked to every stinkin goat bilogist in Montana in the past couple weeks. They are a bit vague as to even what side of the the unit or which trailhead is a good place to start. I have read enough threads on here the last few weeks that my eyes hurt. I was just trying to narrow it down a bit. I live 7 hours from the unit, running over there to scout every weekend is kinda tough.
Seven hours...if i had a goat tag and lived only 7 hrs away id be there every weekend...depends how bad you want it....be glad your not in my shoes..if im ever lucky enough to draw one I have to scout from 3000 miles away... Think id better upgrade my spotting scope to the Hubble :cool:

Pick a trailhead and hike to the top. There are a crap ton of goats in that unit. East side, west side, south side, north side. People make it sound like finding goats is rocket science..hike to the top and look around a little bit.

Seven hours...if i had a goat tag and lived only 7 hrs away id be there every weekend...depends how bad you want it....be glad your not in my shoes..if im ever lucky enough to draw one I have to scout from 3000 miles away... Think id better upgrade my spotting scope to the Hubble :cool:

My thoughts exactly. If I had a goat tag seven hours away my guess is I'd be doing more driving and hiking than sleeping on the weekends.

I wish I had that problem!

Yankee is giving good advise so take it. If you are 7 hrs away I would plan a long weekend and scout the hell outta some areas you all have a tag of a lifetime in hand take full advantage of it. There is plenty of info on here on 313 if you do research and really read things closely you can get some great ideas. Don't let this be your last post we wanna hear about the hunt that's what we really like to read round here...... Like has already been said 313 has tons of goats in it.

Thanks for the advice. My buddy with the tag just got back from there and even though time was limited he found about 30 goats. With two shooters in one group. I'm gonna try and mix a bow hunting trip for elk and a scouting trip for goats in a couple weeks. I will post some pics when I get back.

Thanks for the advice. My buddy with the tag just got back from there and even though time was limited he found about 30 goats. With two shooters in one group. I'm gonna try and mix a bow hunting trip for elk and a scouting trip for goats in a couple weeks. I will post some pics when I get back.

Good luck! Take lots of pics.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K9TXS
Back