Caribou Gear Tarp

Unit 22 Wyoming

What’s my chances of filling a buck tag on public after Opening week?

If you have the license and you--

stay home = 0%
hunt the area but don't get off the roads = 20-30%
hunt the area and spend a fair amount of time out of your vehicle wandering the hills = 80% (maybe higher, depends how picky you are)

I know hunters that have been successful hunting this area the last week of the season.

Hunt the area when you can and enjoy yourself.

ClearCreek

I've hunted similar units and usually do so the 2nd week of the season. You'll have to work for it, but your chances of being successful are high.

Should be going again this fall and really wondering if I should go opening day or not. To be honest, I'd rather hunt later in the season with less animals but also less hunters...

I've hunted similar units and usually do so the 2nd week of the season. You'll have to work for it, but your chances of being successful are high.

Should be going again this fall and really wondering if I should go opening day or not. To be honest, I'd rather hunt later in the season with less animals but also less hunters...
Yeah,I’ll be meat hunting with a couple doe tags hopefully,so would rather avoid the crowds

Then don't worry about it and enjoy your hunt. If you aren't picky, can shoot straight and are somewhat a decent stalker, you will fill your tags.

Just looking at the map the NE corner of 22 where most of the public is located are the Powder River breaks and is pretty rugged- I dont know what type of densities will be in there. Maybe there is enough rolling terrain mixed in that holds em- never been there so just going by OnX

If you read many posts around the easier to draw units they all pretty much repeat the same thing regardless of the unit. Also if you read the Hunt Info and Public land info in Hunt Planner they pretty much say the same thing for all the low point units- I wouldnt let that deter you. There are a ton of people that simply dont put in the time and effort cyber scouting, looking at harvest rates, access info, wont walk far, etc etc to bag a lope.

--Opening day/week there are a ton of hunters. Either deal with the crowds and less pressured animals or go later and deal with less animals(maybe) and less hunters(likely)
--Access to public chunks via public roads will be limited.
--You probably arent going to spot and shoot one within a hundred yards of the road. Get out and walk.
--Get OnX and cross reference it with the County Road Map. Drop a waypoint for every public access point via a road.

In the easy to draw spots having a realistic mindset going in can make all the difference. And if you build in some extra time you can make your own luck just by exploring more spots your cyber, truck, and foot scouting uncover. Being out there chasing them in a marginal unit still beats the alternative of sitting at home for another year.

As for those marginal units I mentioned, that will be our hope in the leftover draw since my party got zeros for all three antelope tags. The rest of the crew almost got nipped by some point creep, but they got buck tags and doe tags too. The suspected COVID-19 downturn in applications is fake news in case you wondered.

It'll be tough if you can't get out opening day. Most decent habitat gets camped out pretty hard or frequently walked through in that unit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back