Ultra light elk rifle suppressed? Christensen Arms Ridgeline FFT 300 PRC thoughts?

Ridgerider

Thoughts or first hand experience with the new 2022 Christensen Arms Ridgeline FFT in a 300 PRC or similar cartridge. Its a 5.5lb +/- rifle in a 22" barrel (kicks like a mule) right?. I am putting on a thunder beast ultra 7" suppressor, and a Leupold 5HD 3x15x 44. Total weight with scope, rings, and suppressor will be right around 8 lbs. It will be a mountain elk hunting rifle. I like to hike a decent amount and shoot monometal copper bullets (barnes ttsx, Hornady's CX, etc). I like the velocities, authority, and bc's the 300 PRC provides, you need at least 2000 ft per second for proper expansion with these bullets or somewhere close to that. Curious on everyone's thoughts on this setup. I realize it's a little overkill for most of my hunting within 300 yards, and a bit more recoil than the 300 win mag. I won't be traveling overseas with it. Dropping down to the 22" barrel, am I wasting powder? I currently have a 7 rem mag in a 24" barrel and would like to reduce the length of my rifle setup to accommodate the suppressor while maintaining speed at distance. I am also considering a 300 WSM in a shorter barrel. 6.5 is too small for elk in my opinion or I'd go 6.5 PRC. Does anyone have experience with a 22" CA Ridgeline or similar ultra light rifle in a 300PRC or 300 WSM while using a suppressor? Curious what kind of muzzle velocities you are getting with it and your thoughts on the recoil. I also see that CA has a sub Moa guarantee, for about the same price, Fierce Arms is guaranteeing a .5 MOA. Thoughts on the setup, and on Christensen Arms Ridgeline FFT. Thanks in advance.

Can’t really help too much other than I shoot a 26” 300 PRC suppressed and I feel like I’m carrying a javelin around in the woods. I take it off until I get where I’m going. People say its not the best cartridge to do in a short barrel but I don’t necessarily buy into that. That is the longest reacher in my arsenal and not one that I want to sacrifice muzzle velocity for ease of packing, but my distance limit is more than yours. If I was building a 22” 30 cal I’d probably build a 300WSM on a medium length action with whatever twist barrel the bullet maker recommended for the projectile I want to shoot. If I was going to spend that much on a production made rifle I’d throw a little more at it and get full custom, something I know I’d be happier with. As far as recoil, mine weighs not much more than that and kicks pretty soft with the can on. I can spot my shots.

I get just under 3000 FPS MV with 215 grain bullets but subtract at least 100 FPS for the 4” difference and a bunch more if you don’t have RL26 which is the only one that got me there.

I think you’d be shocked how little performance you will lose. I’m leaning more and more to shorter barrels. The loss of velocity just isn’t enough to me to outweigh the pros of packing a shorter suppressed barrel. But depending on how you pack a rifle a 22” rifle with a 7”+ can is annoying to me. I use a kifaru gunbearer and that setup out front of me is to long for me especially when you are hiking in the dark. Blocks way to much of my headlamp plus you get the glare coming back off it into your eyes.

My springtime project is going to be an 18” 300 wsm. I’m first going to pack my short barreled 22-250 all winter to make sure that’s what I want for a suppressed barrel length.

Correct me if I'm wrong but won't handicapping a 200-212gr .300 PRC with a 22" barrel bring it down to within spitting distance of something like a 180gr 20-24" bbl 308 WIN that's burning half the powder with half the recoil in a shorter action?

Doesn't seem worth it to me for an extra 20-30 grains of bullet weight. There might be a caliber better suited for a shorter barrel/suppressor combo

Correct me if I'm wrong but won't handicapping a 200-212gr .300 PRC with a 22" barrel bring it down to within spitting distance of something like a 180gr 20-24" bbl 308 WIN that's burning half the powder with half the recoil in a shorter action?

Doesn't seem worth it to me for an extra 20-30 grains of bullet weight. There might be a caliber better suited for a shorter barrel/suppressor combo

An 18” prc is still going to be moving a 200 grain bullet faster than a 308 pushes a 180

Here’s a test don’t with factory 190 grain bullets out of a 300 win mag

C8BD9130-4A32-494E-9295-C29C12BE9F4C.jpeg

I’ve got the regular Ridgeline .300 PRC and couldn’t be happier. Haven’t hunted with it, but will this fall. My suppressor (fingers crossed) will arrive just in time as well. Like @BenInMT I’m pushing a 215 Berger, but with H1000, right under 3000 fps. Also getting great consistency out of N568, but not as fast.

I’ve fondled, lovingly, an FFT Ridgeline and I wouldn’t feel bad in any way, shape, or form if one came home with me.

Can’t really help too much other than I shoot a 26” 300 PRC suppressed and I feel like I’m carrying a javelin around in the woods. I take it off until I get where I’m going. People say its not the best cartridge to do in a short barrel but I don’t necessarily buy into that. That is the longest reacher in my arsenal and not one that I want to sacrifice muzzle velocity for ease of packing, but my distance limit is more than yours. If I was building a 22” 30 cal I’d probably build a 300WSM on a medium length action with whatever twist barrel the bullet maker recommended for the projectile I want to shoot. If I was going to spend that much on a production made rifle I’d throw a little more at it and get full custom, something I know I’d be happier with. As far as recoil, mine weighs not much more than that and kicks pretty soft with the can on. I can spot my shots.

I get just under 3000 FPS MV with 215 grain bullets but subtract at least 100 FPS for the 4” difference and a bunch more if you don’t have RL26 which is the only one that got me there.
Thanks I will most likely be running factory Hornady outfitter 190 CX in the 300 prc, until I have supplies for reloading all set up. I definitely like the availability of factory ammo in the 300 wsm. The one situation that tips the scales for me is if it was the last day of a hunt or a bull of a lifetime stepped out at 650 yards and there was no way to get closer, had the perfect setup, weather etc, and my skills are on par, I think the 300 PRC is the only way to go. I imagine the 190 CX bullet would impact with plenty of velocity and energy where the 300 wsm would be somewhat marginal at that distance.

I think you’d be shocked how little performance you will lose. I’m leaning more and more to shorter barrels. The loss of velocity just isn’t enough to me to outweigh the pros of packing a shorter suppressed barrel. But depending on how you pack a rifle a 22” rifle with a 7”+ can is annoying to me. I use a kifaru gunbearer and that setup out front of me is to long for me especially when you are hiking in the dark. Blocks way to much of my headlamp plus you get the glare coming back off it into your eyes.

My springtime project is going to be an 18” 300 wsm. I’m first going to pack my short barreled 22-250 all winter to make sure that’s what I want for a suppressed barrel length.
Nice, I appreciate your feedback. I also carry with the gun bearer and agree, the suppressor would rest basically in front of my face blocking my view to some degree and reflecting light. The 300 WSM in a 18 or 20" sounds like a good option as well but the velocities start to drop off and reduce the effective range. I noticed that the gun bearer puts a decent amount of pressure on the action screws and my stock came lose on me last year during my elk hunt. I didn't have an Allen wrench on my and had to head back to the truck and re sight in to make sure everything was zeroed. Have you ever noticed the torque the gun bearer puts on your rifle? I was also a bit considered about rubbing the carbon raw around the barrel or stock wherever the top loop contacts the gun. Any good remedies to protect the barrel or stock at these contact points without changing point of impact or messing with the gun too much...

Thoughts or first hand experience with the new 2022 Christensen Arms Ridgeline FFT in a 300 PRC or similar cartridge. Its a 5.5lb +/- rifle in a 22" barrel (kicks like a mule) right?. I am putting on a thunder beast ultra 7" suppressor, and a Leupold 5HD 3x15x 44. Total weight with scope, rings, and suppressor will be right around 8 lbs. It will be a mountain elk hunting rifle. I like to hike a decent amount and shoot monometal copper bullets (barnes ttsx, Hornady's CX, etc). I like the velocities, authority, and bc's the 300 PRC provides, you need at least 2000 ft per second for proper expansion with these bullets or somewhere close to that. Curious on everyone's thoughts on this setup. I realize it's a little overkill for most of my hunting within 300 yards, and a bit more recoil than the 300 win mag. I won't be traveling overseas with it. Dropping down to the 22" barrel, am I wasting powder? I currently have a 7 rem mag in a 24" barrel and would like to reduce the length of my rifle setup to accommodate the suppressor while maintaining speed at distance. I am also considering a 300 WSM in a shorter barrel. 6.5 is too small for elk in my opinion or I'd go 6.5 PRC. Does anyone have experience with a 22" CA Ridgeline or similar ultra light rifle in a 300PRC or 300 WSM while using a suppressor? Curious what kind of muzzle velocities you are getting with it and your thoughts on the recoil. I also see that CA has a sub Moa guarantee, for about the same price, Fierce Arms is guaranteeing a .5 MOA. Thoughts on the setup, and on Christensen Arms Ridgeline FFT. Thanks in advance.
I have a FFT in 7mm rem mag and with the muzzle brake it has less felt recoil than my 270. I have not noticed any performance issues with the shorter barrel. No matter which caliber you get, I think you'll be happy with the rifle.

How did you come up with the calculation for estimating the FPS for different barrel lengths?
Not my numbers. But the guy took a 300 win mag and chronied and then just cut an inch at a time with hack saw and continued to chronograph

I noticed that the gun bearer puts a decent amount of pressure on the action screws and my stock came lose on me last year during my elk hunt. I didn't have an Allen wrench on my and had to head back to the truck and re sight in to make sure everything was zeroed. Have you ever noticed the torque the gun bearer puts on your rifle? I was also a bit considered about rubbing the carbon raw around the barrel or stock wherever the top loop contacts the gun. Any good remedies to protect the barrel or stock at these contact points without changing point of impact or messing with the gun too much...
I set mine up to where my top strap sits under my sling stud. I’m not real worried about scuffing the stock up

FYSA, when you get set up to reload, I would give the 175 Barnes LRX a hard look before the 190. You will gain the velocity back you are loosing. I am currently pushing the LRX at 3200fps with RL26 out of my 26” PRC barrel.

I've been up and down this road numerous times since 2016 or so. I had an ultralight titanium rifle with a 22" Proof built in 260rem, my hunting cans are Griffin Sportsman Ultralights. This was perfect, but I just wanted a little more headroom in caliber. So, I bought a Christensen Ridgeline in 300wm (I actually ended up with two ultimately). Between the long action and longer barrel, I really felt the difference in length, but the caliber headroom was absolutely there, and I really liked the gun overall.

I did not really like carrying this gun in a gunbearer with the suppressor in my face. I generally carry with a Mystery Ranch quick release sling with an extra hook on my shoulder strap to keep it in place. But, I had another gun built. Its actually a Model 7 length action from Defiance (these are 1/2 shorter than even a regular 700 short action), the barrel is a 22" Proof in 300wsm. Weight wise, its 7.8 pounds with can, glass, and mag, so its just what I wanted. It shoots way beyond my expectations (full credit to Plains Precision Firearms), and I am enjoying reloading 300wsm. I'm not really into those heavy 30cal projectiles, so PRC isn't something I was needing, I load the 162 Absolute Hammer at 3150fps, my wife harvested a doe pronghorn with it last season (her first big game animal ever) and plan to use it as an all around cartridge into the future.

Thanks I will most likely be running factory Hornady outfitter 190 CX in the 300 prc, until I have supplies for reloading all set up. I definitely like the availability of factory ammo in the 300 wsm. The one situation that tips the scales for me is if it was the last day of a hunt or a bull of a lifetime stepped out at 650 yards and there was no way to get closer, had the perfect setup, weather etc, and my skills are on par, I think the 300 PRC is the only way to go. I imagine the 190 CX bullet would impact with plenty of velocity and energy where the 300 wsm would be somewhat marginal at that distance.
I think you are still splitting hairs at 650 yds and I would look at energy carried by both to decide if it amounts to much.

You may not want to hear this but I think the perfect short barrel suppressed elk slayer out to maybe 900 yards is the 7 PRC, 7 Saum or others that achieve the same mv as those 2. For me it’s a 280AI and without digging up my data I think somewhere around 850 is where my energy begins to fall off.

Some things for you to consider as a non reloader- you are not going to be able to tweak things to squeeze the performance out of the short barrel. You’ll be stuck with whatever they have at the store and I suspect your muzzle velocities will be anemic compared to what it claims on the box. I have heard but never experienced myself what they say is an incomplete powder burn caused by short barrel and big cartridges which can cause massive swings in your group size. If you can’t get your es down to an acceptable level and shoot enough rounds to be completely competent you have no business taking that 650 yard Hail Mary.

My buddy has the 2019 or 2020 edition of the Ridgeline in 300 PRC and he has used it some but it is overkill for the majority of the hunting that he does. We mainly hunt whitetails in WV with plans of going to CO next year and hopefully every other year to elk hunt in MT, CO or WY. He uses his only with the brake on the and I have shot it and the recoil was comparable to that of my Rem 700 .308 with a target stock on it. I don't think he nor I have the desire to shoot it without the brake but having a suppressor would be interesting to shoot it with. Also he and I both weren't overly impressed with the accuracy from that rifle. He used the hornady eldx 212 grains and the groups were around 1 MOA. His savage high country 6.5 prc had a better group than the 300. I currently use a 7mm Rem Mag Weatherby Vanguard 26" that holds up to the 1 MOA guarantee that Weatherby advertises and the majority of the time better than 1 MOA. I have put a HS Precision stock on it and I'm in the process of putting a VX5 on it for this season.

FYSA, when you get set up to reload, I would give the 175 Barnes LRX a hard look before the 190. You will gain the velocity back you are loosing. I am currently pushing the LRX at 3200fps with RL26 out of my 26” PRC barrel.
appreciate that tip! Thanks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back