Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Ultimate(er) muzzleloader build

p_ham

Next project is converting this Remington Ultimate Muzzleloader to 45 cal. Building my own design breech plug/ ignition system too.
Also going to be making a rifled bullet sizing die.
Should be a fun build, stay tuned for updates!

20220511_193155.jpg20220511_210534.jpg

Smokeless? If sticking with regular muzzleloading powders make sure it can handle a 150g magnum charge. You may never need it but it won’t hurt anything. I have been chasing enough velocity to get mine to still have enough umph at 250 yards and it’s being a challenge. The loss of velocity in this new lot of BH209 makes me want the comfort of a magnum chamber.

Smokeless? If sticking with regular muzzleloading powders make sure it can handle a 150g magnum charge. You may never need it but it won’t hurt anything. I have been chasing enough velocity to get mine to still have enough umph at 250 yards and it’s being a challenge. The loss of velocity in this new lot of BH209 makes me want the comfort of a magnum chamber.
It's getting a modern centerfire barrel so it will be able to handle a magnum charge. I don't know that it will see smokeless.
I javent shot any of the new blackhorn yet, kind of a bummer if you say it's slower now.

If your going to do full bore .452 I have some slippery bullets you can try. Or are you thinking sabots?

Seriously? We routinely shoot real black powder to 1000 yds with plenty of "umph". A tour of duty in the target pits will convince you of that. Sometimes I think people make things much more difficult in reinventing already well known technologies and methods.

What twist is your barrel?

Seriously? We routinely shoot real black powder to 1000 yds with plenty of "umph". A tour of duty in the target pits will convince you of that. Sometimes I think people make things much more difficult in reinventing already well known technologies and methods.

It’s a 28 twist.

The umph I’m referring to is minimum opening impact energy for the bullet on a Elk, not just targets. I’ve been testing trying to ensure I have a min of 1000 ft-lbf at 250 yards. Which is easier said than done with the burn rate of this new BH209.

I will post my results up in another thread to not distract his build thread.

Next project is converting this Remington Ultimate Muzzleloader to 45 cal. Building my own design breech plug/ ignition system too.
Also going to be making a rifled bullet sizing die.
Should be a fun build, stay tuned for updates!

View attachment 222372View attachment 222373
What bullets do you plan on shooting?

What ignition system do you plan on building? Something similar to arrowheads?
Can’t wait to see how this ends up!!

If your going to do full bore .452 I have some slippery bullets you can try. Or are you thinking sabots?
Full bore. It's .458 1:14 twist. We're going to try some .452 stuff in it as I've heard good reports in the past about doing so. If the accuracy isn't there then it's no big deal to switch to .458 bullets.

I'm sure some big heavy lead bullets will get shot at some point, right now we're looking at spitzers.
Nevada legal? Maybe an interesting sight system?
Nevada legal. Williams peep rear, I think he wants a globe front. I might have to make a riser for the rear sight, or just a whole new ramp.
What bullets do you plan on shooting?

What ignition system do you plan on building? Something similar to arrowheads?
Can’t wait to see how this ends up!!
Don't really have the bullets picked out yet.
The ignition system will be more similar to the Savage M10 than Arrowhead. The owner doesn't have full use of his hand and cannot reliably hook a module into the extractor. This design will allow the module to be thrown into the action and the bolt feeds it into place just like a centerfire.

You sure are making this hard. This has been done for 150 yrs now.
Spitballing some ballpark bullets and ballistics into JBM - 1000 ft lbs beyond 400 yds, not that that is very relevant.

The 28" twist is a real handcuff. Such slow twists were a rage once upon a time. Everybody and their brother made express cartridges (same as muzzleloaders, but loaded from the rear), and they all died a graceless death. But they did work - sorta. Anyway, African game, including the Big 5, bison, eland, brown bears, and so on have been taken with .45 caliber blackpowder ballistics since forever (almost). It's actually really easy to follow the path that has been laid for way more than a century.

Spitzers????

Got the barrel threaded on both ends. Threads are cut for the breech plug. Owner wanted a fairly deep bullet guide, so instead of cutting off the inch at the muzzle of the blank it got bored out and threaded over the bored portion. The final cut was done with a reamer so the crown is nice.
Don't mind the sanding marks, work in progress.

I don't know when I'll be back on this one, I've got a few things going now that I'm cycling through operations on. Also trying to finish up a Savage 99 refurb by Father's Day for a guy. I'll make a post on that one if there's interest.20220603_194849.jpg20220604_192345.jpg20220604_192429.jpg

Oh man, a can on ole smokey!! :eek:

Before the bottle necked smokeless cartridges, they were holding 1,000 yard competitions at Williamsport, PA.
Was an all day family affair. Kids played behind the firing line & the families had picnics.

Last edited:
Oh man, a can on ole smokey!! :eek:

Before the bottle necked smokeless cartridges, they were holding 1,000 yard competitions at Williamsport, PA.
Was an all day family affair. Kids played behind the firing line & the families had picnics.
That sounds absolutely horrible to load!
Maybe a sleeve that fits around the ramrod that doubles as a bore guide for the suppressor?

Didn’t someone start manufacturing a muzzleloader with an integral suppressor that was legal without a stamp due to it not being a firearm and the suppressor being non removable? Would this apply here

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HUNT7503
Back