Ukraine / Russia

anyone have any good real info as to whats happening right now. Media is crickets.
Best as I can tell it has settled into a real slog with little movement either way. Hard to see how Ukraine (absent full out NATO engagement) moves Russia out of crimea and Donbas unless Russian citizens or military decide they are done with it. Also hard to see Russia completely taking over the country as long a nato sends $ and ammo. A very expensive stalemate. We will see who blinks first.

Best as I can tell it has settled into a real slog with little movement either way. Hard to see how Ukraine (absent full out NATO engagement) moves Russia out of crimea and Donbas unless Russian citizens or military decide they are done with it. Also hard to see Russia completely taking over the country as long a nato sends $ and ammo. A very expensive stalemate. We will see who blinks first.

Thats about what I was seeing as well. Folks that know their history well would know trench warfare is downright insanity. Your in a hole hoping nobody comes up on top of you and drops a grenade in your lap. You even think about popping up to see your staring down the barrel of someone's gun. Pretty much stuck with no where to go. Thats a bad situation.

Thats about what I was seeing as well. Folks that know their history well would know trench warfare is downright insanity. Your in a hole hoping nobody comes up on top of you and drops a grenade in your lap. You even think about popping up to see your staring down the barrel of someone's gun. Pretty much stuck with no where to go. Thats a bad situation.
And the close artillery all day, all night. Russia and Ukraine both signed Geneva though so no gas, hurray!

But the alternative for Ukraine is even worse. I can't see an upside for them to surrender.

But the alternative for Ukraine is even worse. I can't see an upside for them to surrender.
To be honest with you, there is nothing worse then war. But I would agree there is not much upside to surrendering I can imagine, which is why they will keep fighting. Its a sad thing that human beings deem it necessary to eliminate generations of men from a region. Almost like its programmed into our brains. I come from a generation of Marines that fought in Afghanistan during IMO the worst point of that war between 2009-2014. That was bad.... This is unimaginable to me.

If indeed we are in this stalemate. What breaks it? American Boots on the ground? All of NATO Boots on the ground? I dont know, but I really hope its not my kids that end up there. I'm at this point in my life now that I understand my parents feelings when I told them I'm joining the Marines. These folks at the top are so far removed from the reality of what that thing is, and they know they dont have to put on a flak Jacket and walk into a warzone. Its their kids, or grandkids.

To be honest with you, there is nothing worse then war. But I would agree there is not much upside to surrendering I can imagine, which is why they will keep fighting. Its a sad thing that human beings deem it necessary to eliminate generations of men from a region. Almost like its programmed into our brains. I come from a generation of Marines that fought in Afghanistan during IMO the worst point of that war between 2009-2014. That was bad.... This is unimaginable to me.

If indeed we are in this stalemate. What breaks it? American Boots on the ground? All of NATO Boots on the ground? I dont know, but I really hope its not my kids that end up there. I'm at this point in my life now that I understand my parents feelings when I told them I'm joining the Marines. These folks at the top are so far removed from the reality of what that thing is, and they know they dont have to put on a flak Jacket and walk into a warzone. Its their kids, or grandkids.

Well, I'm going to have to disagree. If there was nothing worse than war, then the Ukrainians would have rolled over on day 1. But we have wars because the long-term consequences of not having a war is worse, at least in the opinions of those that wage them. But it certainly is bad. Really, really bad.

Stalemates don't always get broken, cf. Korea.

You've been there, and I thank you for that. I sure hope no American has to got to eastern Europe for this, so I'd like to see the Ukrainians get all the assistance we can give them while keeping our boots firmly on this side of the line. If the Ukes fail, then a NATO country will be next and those boots will travel.

This article draws parallels between the 1930s Spanish Civil War and current Ukraine war. The point made that Western nations feared the expansion of war more than Franco is definitely palpable today. What with most of NATO providing weaponry to Ukraine while admonishing Russia not to cross the line. Taiwan looks awful tasty to China. Who is there to say “no”? Ukraine needs to be given everything short of nuclear to steamroll straight back to the Russian border.

Well, I'm going to have to disagree. If there was nothing worse than war, then the Ukrainians would have rolled over on day 1. But we have wars because the long-term consequences of not having a war is worse, at least in the opinions of those that wage them. But it certainly is bad. Really, really bad.

Stalemates don't always get broken, cf. Korea.

You've been there, and I thank you for that. I sure hope no American has to got to eastern Europe for this, so I'd like to see the Ukrainians get all the assistance we can give them while keeping our boots firmly on this side of the line. If the Ukes fail, then a NATO country will be next and those boots will travel.
I just don't see that, article 5 and all.

I just don't see that, article 5 and all.
Would you prefer to wait and see until it is too late?

This is cheap medicine, free of American lives. And as we all know, but rarely practice a spoonful of preemptiveness is far better than life and death crisis management and chaos. And I agree, China is watching as well.

If Russia cannot defeat Ukraine alone, then they certainly do not want to poke the NATO/USA bear. Short of a nuclear conflict, our alliance would steamroll them in short order. Otherwise its a MAD nuke conflict.

China has an opportunity to take Taiwan while the world sees us as weak thanks to Joe, who is in their pocket, and the looney tunes pretending to be governing our country. If they dont now, they probably never will. Its been predicted that day will happen before the next election. The way they are acting surely points to a conflict coming soon.

If that breaks loose get ready for hell. North Korea and Iran will step out of line. Israel will wipe Iran off the map, N. Korea will be gone too by our alliance. What happens with China is anyones guess but losing access to Taiwans computer chip production will cripple us temporarily, or permanently if we cant get our shit together. Not holding my breath. Taiwan may also surprise China and inflict heavy casualties while holding them off. Attacking an entrenched island with modern weaponry is a lot harder than they think. And they are thinking real hard about it. Also, does Taiwan have nukes?? There are rumors...

Would you prefer to wait and see until it is too late?

This is cheap medicine, free of American lives. And as we all know, but rarely practice a spoonful of preemptiveness is far better than life and death crisis management and chaos. And I agree, China is watching as well.
Do you honestly believe that the Russians are going to risk an all-out war with the entire West? I don't. I also do not believe that this is cheap medicine.

Think it would be better if we paid China to invade Russia to cut off the northern peninsula. We only need it to last about a month as we debate the ethics of helping them as a NATO country because of the current ongoing conflict in the west.

Putin can’t fight in two fronts now and China expending resources on Russia is better than Taiwan.

Do you honestly believe that the Russians are going to risk an all-out war with the entire West? I don't. I also do not believe that this is cheap medicine.
Insane people dont weigh risk the same as sane people. I'm not saying Putin, Biden, or Zeleniski are insane. But they might be 🤷‍♂️

Back