Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Two blade or three

I don't think most ppl are saying you have to use 125 gr over 100 gr per se, just that you need to have a front heavy arrow with proper FOC. Whether you use a 125 gr BH or a weighted insert and 100 gr head to accomplish that matters very little.

I would go with a nice 3 or 4 blade setup. The reason being is that I've seen in the past, whether it be a mechanical 2 blade or fixed, the wound channel tends to close up and a poor blood trail is the result. Yes on an optimal shot, you'll get DRT results, and the 2 blade do work well, but I've noticed that especially when the game has a layer of fat under the skin, the wound created by a 2 blade setup has a tendency to close and leave either very little to no blood trail to follow. A 3 or 4 blade setup makes a much more difficult wound to close and tends to create a better blood trail.

I've killed 3 elk, 1 with compound 2 with recurve. All with 2 blades steel one piece you sharpen to razor edge. The old 125 Zwickey and last 2 with Grizzly 125 or 130. Grizzly is my go to now. Both will bust through bone and don't come apart. I'm old school and dont care about the latest fancy broadhead. One key is a fairly heavy shaft. The 125's are actually about 150 to 160 once you glue in the screw in insert.

I am using a 3 blade Wasp Drone. I was honestly astonished by the level of damage from such a small cutter. Even with my lower poundage bow, I got a full pass through on a quartering away shot. The deer did not make it more than 30 yards. I would write off quartering towards shots with my setup though. I figure that solid knowledge and adherance to your own weapons capabilities is often way more important than the capability itself.

I find two blade blood trail leaves something to be desired. Never really had an issue with a 3 blade that flys well. also never had issue with a quality mechanical.

Guess I’m a 4 blade guy, ViperTrick, Stingers and V100 Iron Will. All in 100 grain. Could not get either bow to tune with 125. IMO, a 100 grain tuned arrow will penetrate better than a 125 slightly tuned arrow.

Shot placement.
agreed. 2 or 3 I think ends up being a personal preference. That being said I'm using 125gr Magnus Stingers with bleeders and may change things up this year. I think just about any sharp broadhead that flies will do the job although I would avoid anything from a questionable source on Amazon (12 packs for $20 kind of deals)

I just created a thread about the heads that I use and their lethality but the entire thread was deleted .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back