Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Turkey Picture..........

Chambo

I took this Tom in 98.
He weighed 23 pounds has an 11 inch beard and 1-3/16 spurs.
After I took the picture this morning I noticed that he was a little dusty.
smile.gif
smile.gif

tom98.jpg

------------------
Chambo

gunslinger.gif

IF IT WAS EASY EVERYBODY WOULD BE DOING IT !!!

http://www.hunttalk.com

thats the first wall mount of a strutting turkey that i think ive ever seen, very cool, and a very nice bird Chambo. im having one done in a flying mount, its at the taxidermist right now! cant wait to see it!

------------------
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison
fef8b783.gif.orig.gif

Nice Turkey There Chambo! I like the mount. I think it is the first struttin Tom wall mount I have seen also. Tell us the story on this guy.

Nice turkey Chambo!!!! With your reputation of shooting things like the mouse in the tent its awonder there was enuff left to mount. I have never seen a turkey mounted ever before!!!! Let alone a strutting one, OH except the turkey that talks like Billy Big Mouth Bass!!!
biggrin.gif
bcat

------------------
If you aint the lead dog the scenery never changes
bcatrunningcat.gif
Logoboy.jpg

Remember all the way back to 1998 ?
smile.gif

I roosted some turkeys one evening on a neighbors place and knew exactly where I wanted to set up the next morning.
It was going to be one of those easy hunts, if you know what I mean.
These particular turkeys were roosted in a 20 acre patch of timber that was bordered on the south by a dirt road.
I set up the next morning and got upwind of the birds along the edge of a big CRP field.I got to within what I thought was about 100 yards from them and set up before daylight.
I had been sitting there for maybe 30 minutes when a truck came down the dirt road and stopped at the creek which was about the middle of the timber where the turkeys were.
The birds were roosted about 150 yards off the dirt road and someone else was after them too !!!
Suddenly turkeys were flying everywhere !!
The other hunter or hunters blew them off the roost!!!
I watched as thew flew all the way across a 160 acre crp field and out of sight.
I had a good idea as to where they were going and packed up and headed north about 1/2 mile.
I tried some calling early in the morning but had no response at all.
I tried three different locations looking for the birds.
After making a big circle from where I had set up that morning, I decided that I would spend some time on a ridge and basically kill the rest of the morning there.
I called about every 15 or 20 minutes and waited.
It was 10:30 and I could only hunt till noon.
I was day dreaming,something I do a lot when I'm hunting, when a hen came out into a field 250 yards west of me.
Then another and another.I was watching four hens when a tom strutted into view.
Now they really had my attention!!
I tried every call I had with me to coax the tom but he wouldn't leave the hens.
I decided to try and call the lead hen.
The turkeys moved south and would be going through the fencerow where I was sitting.
I grabbed a decoy and belly crawled about 20 yards and stuck it into the ground.
I crawled back to my blind just as the birds came through the fencerow.
I started yelping and cutting really loud and fast.
The lead hen looked my direction and seen the decoy.
When she turned and headed my way I was starting to get a little excited !!!
I made sure my blind was in order and I was well hidden.
I got my gun up and started calling again.
After the hen stuck her head up, looked in my direction and started my way again I put the call down and waited.
It seemed like it took forever for her to cover 200 or so yards and behind her in tow were the three other hens and old tom.
She was about 30 yards ahead of the others and she came to within 10 feet of where I was sitting.
Now i was worried because the tom was in some brush and I had to wait him out for a shot and had this old hen right in my lap !
I didn't blink, move or breathe, she was looking right at where I was sitting and just knew she was going to bust me.
I never made eye contact with her and she turned and headed over to the decoy.
Just as she turned away the tom popped into the open at 40 yards,I double checked to see that It was safe to move my gun a little and lined him up .
I was using a 835 Mossberg with a hastings 675 tube and one shot dumped him.
this is also one of my most rewarding hunts in that I didn't give up when the turkeys got blown from the roost and that I was able to call the old hen into the decoy.
I am a firm believer in using decoys,and try to put them where the turkeys can actually see them.

------------------
Chambo

gunslinger.gif

IF IT WAS EASY EVERYBODY WOULD BE DOING IT !!!

http://www.hunttalk.com

Chambo,
Great tom and even better story!! Don't ya love it when you can salvage those " sure things" after they get sabotaged.
smile.gif
SR

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisb970
Back