Turkey Opener

This is my first year going for them. Finding them isn’t the hard part, it’s finding land I can access that’s the hard part. All the turkeys in these parts seem to be on private land.

This is my first year going for them. Finding them isn’t the hard part, it’s finding land I can access that’s the hard part. All the turkeys in these parts seem to be on private land.
I have the same issue. It's frustrating watching them a few hundred yards on the private and almost impossible to call them over lol.

Question from a New turkey hunter.

I'm going to start hunting Turkey next year in CO and have been doing quite a bit of research but still have a ton to learn. What tips would ya'll give to a new turkey hunter? Specifically, what terrain features should I be looking for when scouting? I know turkeys need water everyday and they rely on their eyes and ears to survive but I don't know what kind of patterns they have on a daily basis. I would be very appreciative of any tips on where to start when new to turkey hunting. Thanks.

I'm going to start hunting Turkey next year in CO and have been doing quite a bit of research but still have a ton to learn. What tips would ya'll give to a new turkey hunter? Specifically, what terrain features should I be looking for when scouting? I know turkeys need water everyday and they rely on their eyes and ears to survive but I don't know what kind of patterns they have on a daily basis. I would be very appreciative of any tips on where to start when new to turkey hunting. Thanks.
The biggest thing you need to know is to work them at half the speed you think, and then slow down more.

I ain’t a pro, by any means, but I was very surprised in the last few years to watch how far a flock of merriams will move in a day, and then back to roost in the evenings. A couple miles easy. Keep this in mind when you find sign, but no birds. As the OP stated, they are there, just have to find them.. what point of the turkey’s daily jaunt are you sitting on at that moment. Turkeys are kinda hard dude. I really believe If they could smell us, nobody would ever get one. 😂🤣

Good luck!

I had a Spokane Southhill Velociraptor Gobbler run head on at my truck the other day. I was driving 25 and he was ready to fight. I had to dodge him and he turned, gobbled and chased. 😂

I ain’t a pro, by any means, but I was very surprised in the last few years to watch how far a flock of merriams will move in a day, and then back to roost in the evenings. A couple miles easy. Keep this in mind when you find sign, but no birds. As the OP stated, they are there, just have to find them.. what point of the turkey’s daily jaunt are you sitting on at that moment. Turkeys are kinda hard dude. I really believe If they could smell us, nobody would ever get one. 😂🤣

Good luck!
This is the reason I'm excited about getting into turkey and elk hunting, the amount of ground they cover. I'm from Texas and used to hunt whitetail quite a bit. It's a totally different ball game than sitting on a feeder and waiting for them to come in. Without doing any western hunting I already know you have to make opportunities more than back in Texas

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back