Turkey on the Menu

Here is where I need to hear from the experts on turkey hunting. I received a message from someone in Europe that has hunted wild turkey in the area who told me that I should target the young ones as anything over a year old is tough and dry and fit only to boil for stew or something. I know others have posted before about breasting them and that. Keep in mind that my experience will be first timer in 2021. He also calls them buzzards that eat anything, but the food supply in the area is a mix of high quality habitat - rye, sorghum, wheat, grasses, sunflower, plenty of irrigated crop. I am hoping that enhances quality of the birds in the area.

I am a meat hunter so expecting to want the best quality meat out of anything I shoot. So please give me feedback on what to expect and what to target.

Just use a brine and be careful not to over cook and you'll be eating good

I think they get a bad wrap for no reason. Every bad thing I've heard has been from someone being told they're not good by someone else.

I keep the legs and just use them in a recipe where I can braise them

Like all animals the young ones are probably a little better, but it makes no difference to me.
But then again I eat old rutty bucks with no quarrel lol

Like all animals the young ones are probably a little better, but it makes no difference to me.
But then again I eat old rutty bucks with no quarrel lol
Thanks for your input. My favorite pieces on domestic turkey is the gizzard, heart and liver. How is that in wild turkey?

If you’re only shooting jakes, let me know and I’ll come clean up those terrible chewy longbeards.

At least choose the correct google image this time.

Wild turkey heart, liver, and gizzard are very good. It’s my tradition every year to eat them for breakfast the morning after a successful turkey hunt. I’ve found little to no difference between mature toms and jakes. They are all delicious.

Another question for you turkey experts, least those of you that have been successful anyways:

If you notice in my image, the turkeys there have been in the open but near trees that they can roost. I am just starting up my research for 2021 to determine where and how I am going to approach the hunt.

Is it best to hunt near wooded areas?

How far do turkeys wander from wooded areas? I have seen them on a county road well away from most trees except those in the residential areas of farms and that.

Here's hoping to make my virgin experience with turkeys successful.

There are better turkey hunters than me out there but ill give it a shot anyway lol

They'll wonder around a decently large area and in my neck of the woods they will get out in the middle of smaller fields (200yd across). Any bigger and they seem to only wonder out 100yards or so from the wood line.
It seems like you have a decent pattern on them, id keep that up through turkey season.
During season try to figure out where you can find them at first light and either set up to intersect with a decoy or try to shock-gobble a tom in the roost and intersect 100 yards away from there

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back