Tungsten?

SD_Prairie_Goat

Thought ran across my mind, why don't we have tungsten core bullets for rifles?

Seems like it could be a good replacement for lead cores?

Thoughts?

Also, properly engineered copper bullets have proven great alternatives without the added cost of a move to tungsten.

Barnes MRX, which is now discontinued.

Tungsten core in the rear of the shank. Similar to the Winchester Fail Safe but tungsten instead of lead. One “advantage” to the tungsten instead of lead is higher bullet weight to length ratio. Solid copper bullets are very long for their weight, which can take up case capacity.

The ATF forced Barnes to discontinue several projectiles a few years back because they were actually armor piercing. I don’t recall which ones. I imagine that’s why this one is discontinued.

Barnes MRX, which is now discontinued.

Tungsten core in the rear of the shank. Similar to the Winchester Fail Safe but tungsten instead of lead. One “advantage” to the tungsten instead of lead is higher bullet weight to length ratio. Solid copper bullets are very long for their weight, which can take up case capacity.
This is what I was sort of imagining in my head. like a nosler partition, but the base (1) of the bullet being tungsten instead of lead and the top (2) just being expanding copper

1623863122751.png

I think they cost about a buck a bullet when I got them and I only bought one box of 20. Barnes hasn't offered the MRX for at least 10 years I think. I still have some reloads and may carry them this Fall.

I’ve been told if you place tungsten shot on an anvil an hit it with a hammer you dent the anvil. I’ve never done that but man it’s hard. When you load shot with it you need to use Mylar wraps so it protects the barrel from contact and doesn’t scratch it. The stuff is that hard. It’ll not expand. Now add the insane price.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back