Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

TSS Choke

Stretcher_Jockey

Planning on trying out some TSS this year in my 870. Have used Hevi Shot for years and currently have a choke from Carlson’s that’s rated for Hevi Shot. Will tungsten damage my gun or choke if I stick with the same one? I’ll buy a TSS specific choke if necessary just don’t want to if what I have will work fine.

I’ve got the same situation on my Briley choke ... have been shooting both tungsten and bismuth loads through it and have had no problem nor holes in the patterns though I’m sure it will wear the choke in time.

I’m using a Remington Super Full(RSF) in my 870 and 1187. It’s “rated” for lead only. I haven’t had any issues with it using TSS. It’s cheap and throws a great hunting pattern.

A choke that is fine for Hevi 13 will be fine for TSS, from a wear perspective.

Typically hevishot turkey chokes aren’t as tight as lead chokes; like a .680 (.050 constriction) in a Rem 870. Hevi13 is harder than lead, so if you’re shooting big pellets (like #4-#6) then your pattern goes to hell if you choke it too much, like overchoking steel.

If you’re shooting TSS #8s or #9s you may find it patterns better with a tighter choke, like a .665 (.065 constriction) since smaller pellets can be choked more without blowing the pattern. But try your hevishot choke first and see how it does.

Last edited:
The only way to truly know how a certain shotgun/choke/load will perform is to fire the combination at a patterning board.

I use a 870 with dual beads. The carlson 680 flush and fed 2.5 oz 8x10 blend tss will cover every square inch of a 10 inch circle at 65 yards. If you want a super hot core and use adjustable sights id go with one of the IC chokes for tss. If you like to keep it simple with a bead 675-680 probably throws the most forgiving pattern and will kill a turkey at ranges beyond reasonable

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back