MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Truck Tents

88man

Ok I have a wall tent & light weight two person tent. The girlfriend wants a truck tent. I said my truck bed is always full of gear etc and dirt/mud/blood etc. Whats the fastest truck bed tent to set up.

😉

At one point I thought about getting one. But then the cost of a tepui or something similar shocked me. Not only that but you have to have a mounting system which is $$$ and It’s not like they’re light weight. It’s kind of you stick it up there for the season and don’t take it down till you’re done camping. Plus I’ve heard you take a big hit on fuel consumption. Can you imagine driving around with a big block above your pick up? Imagine having to Piss in the middle of the night. Gotta climb down a ladder and climb back up in the middle of the night. I thought about it and the cons outweighed the pros for me at least. I guess the last question would be how often are you going to use it. Like I said once it’s up on your truck it pretty much stays up there until. Now that all being said. If I were to get one I’d get a Tepui. It folds over and has a ladder. There are other models that are more of a clam shell type lift. Go Fast Campers is an option. Those seem easy to set up. Low profile, easier on fuel consumption. There’s also some lift style ones that use a crank system too lift the whole lid up. Smittybilt makes a similar set up to the folding Tepui. If you have the chance I’d check them all out and see what one works for you depending on how you can mount it.

I can’t understand the benefit of truck tents other than for looking dope on the gram.

As evidenced in the OP, second most common benefit is wife/GF wants one and it can get them out more. Ask me how I know. The utility trailer setup makes a better, more mobile base camp setup then when it was on the pickup, but also not cheap. Agree on the peeing at night. I will admit it is more comfortable then a small backpack tent on the ground when truck camping. No pics have made it to the gram tho.

MPG on the tundra was 14 vs 15 when it was on the top for 9 months out of the year. I also have the tundra with the 38 gallon tank so that helps on the gas guzzling complaints.

IMG_20210709_165426833_HDR.jpg

Tents attached to the roof of your vehicle are not as cool as everyone thinks...

The only ones I'd consider are Flip Pac or similar, but those ones are $$$

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back