Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Tripod Alternative

kylemcintyre67

I recently purchased a Swagger QD42 shooting stick setup. Haven't had a chance to shoot with it yet but I am impressed with the stability in the seated position. The quick detach set up got me thinking about using it for my binos as well. Dug out a small section of picatinny rail I had laying around and a screw I had in the random hardware box. Had to drill the hole in the rail out a bit. This was the result. Just sitting in the driveway and testing it out it is a promising setup. Not as stable as a tripod, but also not as heavy and it is multi use. I will be giving it some testing in a few weeks while hunting whitetail in Oklahoma and if it is as handy as I hope, I will take it with when I get back after Barbary Sheep in New Mexico.

Attachments

• 20191105_185615.jpg
    20191105_185615.jpg
    978.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 20191105_185610.jpg
    20191105_185610.jpg
    835.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 20191105_185600.jpg
    20191105_185600.jpg
    755.3 KB · Views: 4
Always great to figure out ways to get multi uses of stuff in the pack!! I think it would be a good compromise when trying to go light. Main disadvantage I see is not being able to lock the binos on a spot. But its a lot better then just freehanding them!!

I had been using a hiking stick & then shooting sticks for years,with some success. Hiking sticks crossed works. One day glassing off them I realized I had a perfectly good light weight tripod sitting at home going unused most of the time.
What a dummy. I now have it with me most of the time with a Y yoke on a quick release base. I quick glass off it too. Have bases on bino adaptor & spotting scope. The Manfrotto is nice to sit behind & very versitle in setups. Prone is too low in a lot of NM spots,standing a dead give away or your blown over.

Back